View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013

Caro

Quote:
This is one of the difficulties of being asked to swim slowest...how slow is slow? where does swimming stop, even if 1 arm is always moving? Is that the definition? If so...game on!
That is precisely my point! How do you determine your slowest speed? I realise that Terry has attempted to answer this on the next post but when I did 1m15s with 12spl I just did a very slow motion recovery with a long glide or in TI terms a very patient lead hand. I was not unstable and did not have to scull. This is probably easier for me than some people as I am very bouyant so have no worries about sinking, but basically it was an exercise in going slow, so working from this point to faster speeds how do I work out my slowest swimming pace?

Terry describes his slowest pace as his walking pace, I would describe the pace I was doing as my snails pace. Is my walking pace the pace I can keep going at for miles, in which case it's about 27s/25m but that does require some maintainable aerobic effort?

Quote:
I wouldn't say so though. Unless you're trained as a sprinter (at least minimally), I doubt that this 43s be your fastest time. There maybe a 35s hidden somewhere...
I wish Charles, I think you may be confusing me with someone with some fast twitch muscle fibres. The fastest I have swum 50m is 42s. When I do 25m sprints I can do a nice calm 20s with a two beat kick. When I try to go faster I hit the wall at 19s, I have tried everything I can think of to go faster;
spearing at different angles, shoulder driven stroke, different degrees of kicking, faster recovery, faster pull, etc etc. Ramping up the tt, stroke generally falls apart at about .76. I am most jealous of those elite swimmers who can make incredibly fast swimming look so smooth.
Any hints or tips that would get me going faster would be gratefully received .