View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013

CharlesCouturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro View Post
I am finding the idea of comparing slowest and fastest times interesting but after reading Terry and Suzanne's posts am feeling a bit sceptical of the slow times.
Quote:
The slow ones were all done with my definition of slow swimming as at least one arm moving at all times.
That's the idea...

Quote:
It is easy to determine fastest time but how do you define slowest time?
I wouldn't say so though. Unless you're trained as a sprinter (at least minimally), I doubt that this 43s be your fastest time. There maybe a 35s hidden somewhere...

Quote:
swimming is a little different to walking
Yeah it is.

Quote:
I then decided these were not slow enough so ditched the tt and did slow 50's with as little pressure as I could manage in
1m15s, 1m16s and 1m21s all spl 12.
Now that's slow! But still, you have to realize that this 1:15 (to take a roundish number) sums up to 2:30 for a hundred, which is potentially faster than some people would dream of swimming.

Quote:
I think for me this disproves Suzanne's statement that lower spl requires stronger effort. It does if you want to go at higher speeds but not if you are going really slowly.
Taken at the first degree, you know, this statement taken as it is.... how should I put it. It's not entirely true. Your best was 43? Try 50sec for a 50 at 18strokes, then the same pace at 16, then at 14, then at 12. The lower the stroke count, the higher the effort to maintain this pace.

Quote:
I was however surprised that I could not go any slower.
I asked the same task to one of mine the other day, he couldn't go slower than 1:35/100m. He too was surprised, but not as much as the others assisting the demo.