Thread: Sinkers
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B View Post
Coach McDougal, are you saying that everyone can float horizontally? I would like a poll of the forum to see how many of us can achieve this in all circumstances.
I've been a follower of TI for about 6 years. In salt water my legs float to the surface and I feel like a seal in the water, totally comfortable. In fresh my legs slowly sink. At best in s.g., stretched out with my arms breaking the surface I maintain an angle of about 30 degrees from horizontal. I manage this well enough with forward motion and posture when swimming but I'm aware that I'm not as confident in the middle of a lake as in the ocean.
My chest floats fine but my legs are described as Pukeko (waterhen to you northern hemispheres) by the family. That is, long skinny and all bone and stringy muscle.
I'd be profoundly grateful if you could give me something to work on. Sorry I cant get to your class.

Ken
Hi Ken: Yes, and swimmers need to learn to balance and easily stay level But I have dense sinking legs too, and they eventually drop. But with a slight flutter easily stay afloat and I think that is fine, although not all coaches will agree with that statement. I can keep a really tight waist to hold them longer, but I'm only adding more tension, not really more leg buoyancy. Engaging core is critical though, just not Hulk like rock solid. A true sinker is one who starts sinking immediately from the hips and then torso follows hips to the bottom - almost like a bag of cement (often with a pull buoy trapped between the legs). These swimmers need a lot of care just to get torso on the surface which takes time and experimentation.