View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation

When I use Tempo Trainer I just use the information to guide subsequent decisions on set design. This use of TT excites me more than any other because it allows a level of mathematical precision and complete personalization in training that had always been missing in my training prior to TT. Before that it was all guesswork.

What Lennart's set strongly suggests is that his nervous system is better adapted to a range closer to 1.0 than to 1.3.

This is obviously good since the ability to stay efficient at a higher rate is what distinguishes more successful swimmers. Less successful ones play a zero-sum game. They give up as much or more SL as they gain in SR. This has been well-documented for decades in analysis of races at world and national championships.I.E. Olympic medals are far more often won and lost and places decided in the last half of the race. Swimmers have relatively similar SL and SR earlier in the race. As the action heats up, the also-rans tend to resort to wheel-spinning, while winners can increase rate with little or no loss of SL.

I've put the results of sets into 3 categories
Red - Tempo increases. Speed decreases. Avoid or minimize training in this range.
Yellow - Tempo increases. Speed also increases but by a significantly lower %. In this range, work patiently at closing the gap. Some adjustments I might make include shorter repeats or longer rest.
Green - Tempo increases, as does speed, by a relatively close %. 9% to 7% is good. In this range I would feel comfortable trying more difficult sets - i.e. longer reps or shorter rest (but probably not both in the same set).

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story