View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018
Mushroomfloat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenturtle View Post
So, how does that look underwater at the different stages of the cycle?

1 reach and setup a slight start of the catch. (same side leg is also setup)

2 start weight on catch. Above water arm is almost at shoulder height moving forward, or about at shoulder height, depending the level of catchup timing. recovering shoulder is rotated up, while the low arm has to stay outsinde the centerline with an upward rotated elbow. this together requires the shoulderblades to be pressed together.
afbeedlingen

3 peak weight on catch.
At this point the mass center of the weight above water is more or less at he same level as the catching arm, so the weight is pessing maximal into the catch. To use that weight effectively in a long stroke its best to have the paddle pointing down at a reasonable angle, otherwise the weight cant be transfered to backward pressure. Low side paddle and high side weight are working at different sides of the body, so together they create a torque that also rotates the body around its axis.
To execute this cycle optimally, you need enough flexibility and shoulder strength/stabilisation.
This is where i'm at too, exactly this stroke!

I think the lead arm needs to go down to allow the highside shoulder to elevate, it is almost like a kayak principle.

It's funny i was going to start a similar thread this morning about this very subject!
Great pics and analysis ZT

Lead arm like a "slowly sinking surfboard" i think you said the other day? thats it, i find it goes wide and down
also i wemt from straight arm recovery to chambering it above the head (like sailboat drill) and then strongly fired the high side hip
i got a massive fast shallow gilde off of that & got a good rythmn going like sheila taorminas stroke, something to try