View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016
Coach

CoachSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I would be interested in thoughts on this subject. Is there some sort of consensus on the question? Is it possible to stay in the scapular plane during a fly recovery and, if so, how?

Thanks for your input

Have you watched any of Terry's / Total Immersions video instruction on Butterfly?

Butterfly was "my stroke" from the age of 8 to age 15. when I was around 40 I spent 30 minutes in the pool with Terry where he gave me 2 or 3 tips on butterlfy taht made it feel easier than ever...then again I took a coaches course from him in minneapolis and learned a full teaching sequence for it.

It all comes back to gravity & bouyancy just like in freestyle.

Not trying to "pull" through the water, but letting buoyancy bring you back to the surface and timing hand action to "help your head" to the surface relieves shoulder stress at the front of the stroke. Then simply "releasing" the water as soon as you feel pressure allows a recovery in time wiht the body rising before it falls back in.

As your speed increases, that pressure point occurs later and later in the stroke until you're doing a "full" stroke, but never really putting stress on the shoulder.

I went from swimming 75m continuous fly in a pool, being winded to 600m continuous fly in OW in less than than 2 weeks with Terry's help. (5 witnesses to the 600m fly at Lake Minnewaska)

Now, even after my car accident, when my neck or shoulder are hurting butterfly is easier than freestyle and way easier than backstroke which stresses both my neck and my shoulder .

Fly is now my goto relaxation stroke. Doesn't mean I'm swimming it quickly but I've never had anyone watch me swim fly and say, "Boy you're slow for a 47 year old"
Fresh Freestyle