View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012

zenkitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachToddE View Post
Kalinma,

The guy in the video keeps his head very still and only turns it to the side leaving the other side of head completely in contact with the water, hence your reference to the swimmer leaving his head in the superman glide position. That position of the head is what you should be trying to achieve the entire time you are swimming.

I recently was introduced to a good drill to help you with the problem of lifting your head while out at a TI Teacher and Master Teacher Training Course in Aug 2012. Coach Suzanne introduced the drill. It called the Nod, one-eye (or whale eye), popeye mouth breathe. You first start by practicing the nod while you are swimming a lenght of the pool or until you need air. The nod is turning your head to the side so you cann see underwater (with both eyes) the lane next to you or the swimmers/bottom whatever is there. Everytime you would breathe to either the left or right you'd use the nod, keeping the head in alignment with the body/spine in the water. Practice this several lengths or until you can do this without feeling you are trying to pick you head up. You can master one side first and then come back and work on the other side or possibly try both alternating lengths and sides. Again, once your comfortable with the nod, move on to the one-eye. Here you only turn your slightly more until you have one goggle out of the water and the other still under the surface. Now you can incorporate incorporate the nod one time with a one-eye the next and so on. Again after you feel comfortable that you are not lifting your head your ready to add the breath. So you'd nod once, then one-eye, then popeye breath. Popeye breath is the same as you may have seen the cartoon popeye when he eats his can of spinach. He turns his mouth (scrunches) it to the side the can is on or in this case the side the air is on. Some may not remember popeye so another visual might be to think of 'cigar mouth' like when you see someone smoking a cigar holding it in the side of their mouth. Try not to turn the head much more than when you were doing the one-eye. If you can do this you have succeeded in ridding yourself of the habit of lifting your head to breathe.

Hope this wasn't too confusing but it is a very effective drill for perfecting your breathing.
For the first time I tried bilateral breathing, even though my breathing on my 'good' side needs lots of work. Here is what I discovered for myself:
-it allowed me to stop holding my breath that I discovered I was doing.
-it broke my over-thinking of my technique
-I could actually get one goggle in the water and breath like a pirate..you know, saying aaarrgg...
-I didn't feel so breathless.
-it caused me to rotate more and not swim flat
-and I did better on the left than my right, which is where I did all of my breathing.

Last edited by zenkitty : 12-20-2012 at 05:55 PM.