Thread: Breathing Aha
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011

quad09
Default 54 degree!!!!

Terry:

I guess my first question would be, how much pot must one smoke before swimming in 54 degree water? WOW, I would die. LOL

Seriously, I must compliment you on your breathing skills. I've watched everything you've posted (video wise) and your freestyle breathing is silky smooth and mesmerizing. Seriously, its as fluid as water I love it. The video with Shinji is awesome even though guys tried to trick us by changing swim caps.

I have been swimming TI for approx 4 years and was making good progress. A quadruple bypass in Nov '09 has set me back quite a bit on breathing stamina. Prior to surgery and medication I would swim about 4 days a week for 30 to 50 minutes per session without stopping for rest. Today, however, is another story. I started swimming again about a year ago and now swim about 3 days a week. With a flipturn 150 meters is about my max without feeling out of breath. Recently i noticed that if I forcefully exhale my swim time can be slightly extended. I think you refer to my breathing as being "shallow" in other threads. Could you possible elaborate on the effects of CO2, shallow breathing and forcefull exhalation so I might better understand whats going on. Physically i'm in good shape for my age (58), 165 lbs., bodyfat 19.5, 18 SPL on 25m in approx 25 to 30 seconds. When running or cycling i don't get winded like when swimming so I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Thank you and all for your help,

Quad09