Thread: Slipping
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014

Talvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachSuzanne View Post
Do you mean Shinji's video? Dave and Shinji are both freakishly flexible. But watch dave's video 1:31-1:38, his right arm (arm on the left side of the screen.

The elbow stays "high" in this video as in high close to the cieling, the upper arm is still at the same angle at 1:31 vs 1:38. But to drop the forearm and allow the shoulder joint to not be stressed he rotated his torso to do it.

The issue with being on the bed is that you'd have to rotate against gravit and it would just get messy. Doing it without rotating the torso, ie moving the arm instead doesn't mimic swimming action as well because it seems to encourage moving in an "S" shape.

So the "S" shape may happen, but watch Dave. From 1:31-1:38 his catch is set up and there is no scull and no stress on the shoulder, jus tthe timing of dropping the forearm with body rotation.
Yes I meant the Shinji video (the link CoachStuartMcDougal posted). The 0:24 - 0:33 segment is slo-mo head on so as clear a base as possible to explain from. I can't get my head around what's where in respect of the water surface etc in Dave's video.

I was thinking there's no need to roll on the bed - it was only so I could explore the flexibility and range of movement etc in my arm without having to work against gravity. To mimic any movement I'd just "assume" the roll in the movement of my arm. That way the focus is all on the arm movement. Imagine having a camera attached on a frame fixed to a swimmers shoulders. The shoulders would always be in the same place in the shot. You'd be isolating the arm movement relative to the frame of the body rather than the frame of the water. In the end it is all just to find the position out of the water and without stressing anything.

Yesterday I bore in mind the Shinji head-on shot and was trying to integrate it all, so I'm feeling my way forward. I think everyone's saying the same thing just using different ways to describe it.

btw, and for the avoidance of any doubt here, Rome was TI.

"The water is your friend.....you don't have to fight with water, just share the same spirit as the water, and it will help you move."
~ Aleksandr Popov

Last edited by Talvi : 05-16-2014 at 03:35 PM.