View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015
coach

CoachStuartMcDougal

Hi Paraic,

You are very much in the front quadrant on both breathing and non breathing strokes. By "front quadrant" I mean both arms are in the lower quadrant (in water) as you initiate the switch (rotation). If you draw a horizontal line through your head/spine/hips, then a vertical line (90 degs to the horizontal line) through the center of your head separating body into four equal boxes or quadrants, the front quadrant is the front lower box in water. This is often mistaken for "catch up" since catch up or like catch up is really stopping both hands in front, followed by pulling to rotation.

The "catch" is also an overloaded term since it really starts at shaping the arm for max grip and leverage as recovery arm moves forward. The front quadrant position is where you engage the large muscle groups of the core (the lats) and are in the best position for maximum grip and leverage - and hold an arm full (not just a palm full) of water

It looks like, and this is very subtle too, on your left shoulder breath you right arm pulls quicker and are slipping a bit. This is a response to an imbalance due to the late breath. The body doesn't like being in that position, right lead arm triggers by pulling to get you out of it. Getting the breath early with the shoulder will turn off the "pulling" trigger.

Re: Kick. I often use the 4bk in lumpy conditions too and like you said it's for stability preparing for the breath, but only when it feels necessary. Being that you can switch at will between 2bk, 4bk and 6bk your kick timing is timed with rotation connecting the the whole body, platform very stable and balanced - you can swim long distances at a consistent pace. Awesome! I'll look for you to do the EC, Catalina. MIMS in the near future :-)

Stuart
www.mindbodyandswim.net