View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011

AWP

Nice!
And once again great timing.
I'd wondered if your Monday practice could also be done in reverse order or just as a recovery session too.
I'll look to challenge myself with this 'recovery' practice, in order to do so I'll really need to focus on ease. To that, your choice of spl (on the higher end) seems counter to a recovery so to speak. So is that choice coupled with one of intent towards easy effort at that count? I know we're always striving for ease but there is a difference between 16 spl @ race pace let's say and 16spl @ recovery pace. No?
I gave Monday's a go and although you hadn't posted "high intensity, neurally demanding" I soon found it to be and wondered if it should've been. Then I read the above post : )
Nonetheless...

Wednesday, April 4 @ YMCA 25yd pool
Freestyle
3 x 200
3:14 @ avg. 13spl
3:04 @ avg. 14spl
2:56 @ avg. 15spl
After the second repeat I knew I failed to keep enough control over the initial pace. Probably should have played out more like 3:04/3:00/2:56.
The plus was descending by adding a stroke, ideal would be then to maintain stroke length as time fell.

4 x 50 backstroke

2 x 200
2:55 @ avg. 15spl
2:53 @ avg. 16spl

4 x 50 backstroke

1 x 200
2:58 Oops!
I knew instantly, right out of the gate, that I'd come in slower especially when I hit the 'first' wall @ what I thought was 13spl. I suspected a bit of fatigue possibly from the backstroke repeats coupled with a slow start and one missed turn. I'd hold a lower stroke count on the next set @ backstroke.

4 x 50 backstroke

1 x 200 broken @ 100s
1:20/1:20
(Sensed I could have descended but stuck to the plan)

4 x 50 backstroke

1 x 200 broken @ 50s
:40/:38/:37/:37

I did manage to descend all the way through but one set. I did feel after slowing the backstroke rate that I had more to give. I'll play with the active/passive rest on this sort of session.
A challenge indeed, thanks.

Best,
Alan