View Single Post
Old 06-27-2015
Head Coach

terry has disabled reputation
Default Nothing but 100m Repeats

Fri 26 June - 2600 LCM at U.C. Pool [Season Total 4300m]
I have 11 weeks for my Summer Training Project since the outdoor 50m pool in New Paltz will remain open until Sept 7.
I plan to swim 5 to 6 days per week, something I've rarely done in the past 10 years. And on some occasions, probably at least once/week, but sometimes more often if I have the time and feel fresh enough. I'll swim twice a day, combining a pool practice and a lake swim.

In recent years most of my training projects--most of them logged on this Forum--have been focused on gaining the most improvement from the least training volume. I've gotten very good at doing that, so it's probably a good time for a change of pace.

In part this is because I turn 65 next March and plan to swim a few Masters meets--regional and/or national championships--next spring. Since age 55 I'd done this at 5-year intervals.

I've lost considerable speed in the last decade-a process that has accelerated noticeably since I turned 60`. This is something fitness experts predicted--that performance capably declines more steeply after turning 60.

However, I've also considerably reduced my training volume in my 60s, so in the next nine to 10 months I'll raise it up again to find out how much of that lost speed I can recover through greater fitness. Naturally I'll report my progress and insights here.

Main (Only) Set
Swim 3 rounds of 100m repeats
Round 1: 10 x 100 on 2:10
I held 38 SPL and RPE of 1-2. Times descended from 2:00 to 1:47

Round 2: 8 x 100 on 2:05
I held 39 SPL and RPE of 2-2.5. Times descended from 1:45 to 1:42

Round 3: 8 x 100 on 2:00
I held 41 SPL and RPE of 2.5 to 3. Times descended were 1:41-1:40.

Over the three rounds, rest intervals and times came down. SPL and RPE went up, but I minimized increase in RPE (a conscious goal) by allowing myself more strokes but making them lighter as they got quicker.

May your laps be as happy as mine.

My TI Story

Last edited by terry : 06-28-2015 at 10:14 PM.