Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Swimming In Triathlon (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   recommendations needed! (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3485)

rosa.michelle 06-07-2012 07:26 AM

recommendations needed!
 
I started my triathlete training last year, and will be going for my first attempt coming year.
Triathletes want different set of information in front of them when they are on the go!
1. For swimmers (depending on Open Water and Pool Swimming), you will be looking forward to your swim speed, swim cadence, distance travelled, stroke count, stroke style, and time.
2. For runners, data like speed, distance, elevation, run cadence, altitude, temperature and time shall be useful.
3. And for bikers, you can have data stats like bike speed, distance, pedaling effort, elevation, gradient and time.
My trainer recommended buying sports watch that will display all these data metrics. What do you say in this regard?!

andyinnorway 06-07-2012 12:47 PM

Garmin 910XT. Has it all. Swim GPS not perfect but good.

rosa.michelle 06-08-2012 06:47 AM

BUT everyone keeps saying 910xt is perfect for swim
That isnt true?

CoachDavidShen 06-09-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosa.michelle (Post 28577)
BUT everyone keeps saying 910xt is perfect for swim
That isnt true?

GPS is pretty hard to get right on the wrist. but i have found the 910XT to be pretty good. but i swim mostly with the FINIS Swimsense which gives slightly better stats.

also the 910XT can do all the running and biking stats you want. I would also add power to biking, assuming thats what you meant by pedaling effort. it can also do heart rate for biking and running but not swimming...

andyinnorway 06-09-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosa.michelle (Post 28577)
BUT everyone keeps saying 910xt is perfect for swim
That isnt true?

My garmin has been perfect for pool swimming, not sure if you can open this link but this is what my open water looks like.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186716460

This was a continuous steady pace swim but if you look at the watch data you wouldn't think so, also sometimes the map data shows me bumping into the edge of lakes and things which I do not do. If I use a tempo trainer, the watch does report the correct cadence, so its just the speed and gps data that is a bit suboptimal for swimming, the biking has been perfect.

rosa.michelle 06-11-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen (Post 28594)
GPS is pretty hard to get right on the wrist. but i have found the 910XT to be pretty good. but i swim mostly with the FINIS Swimsense which gives slightly better stats.

also the 910XT can do all the running and biking stats you want. I would also add power to biking, assuming thats what you meant by pedaling effort. it can also do heart rate for biking and running but not swimming...

Thanks for the professional opinion.

rosa.michelle 06-11-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyinnorway (Post 28596)
My garmin has been perfect for pool swimming, not sure if you can open this link but this is what my open water looks like.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/186716460

This was a continuous steady pace swim but if you look at the watch data you wouldn't think so, also sometimes the map data shows me bumping into the edge of lakes and things which I do not do. If I use a tempo trainer, the watch does report the correct cadence, so its just the speed and gps data that is a bit suboptimal for swimming, the biking has been perfect.

I just opened the link, it works.
So, I would have to do with abnormal data too?
Or is there a solution to it?

fire50 01-01-2013 04:44 PM

Yes I also would like to suggest you Garmin 910XT....

rosa.michelle 01-03-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fire50 (Post 33644)
Yes I also would like to suggest you Garmin 910XT....

Thanks for the suggestion!

Islandswimmer 02-27-2013 02:15 PM

I use a PoolMate in the pool and my Garmin Forerunner 305 in a ziploc baggie under my cap in open water.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.