Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Links and References (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Garmin Swim Watch (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3565)

CoachDavidShen 07-03-2012 02:47 AM

New Garmin Swim Watch

check out this new toy by Garmin on amazon

wonder if its better than the Swimsense。。。。

nicka 07-03-2012 08:51 AM

Wow looks good.

I like that it logs the times of each lap along with the rest and then automatically start again by the look of the graph.

A pity i just brought my poolmate but it does do the job of counting laps that i was after when i brought it.

Nick

CoachDavidShen 07-03-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicka (Post 29066)
Wow looks good.

I like that it logs the times of each lap along with the rest and then automatically start again by the look of the graph.

A pity i just brought my poolmate but it does do the job of counting laps that i was after when i brought it.

Nick

being a gadget freak, i of course had to pre-order one ;-). will post here on how it well it works. given that the band on my swimsense is deteriorating due to pool water exposure, i am anxious to give this one a try. i would swim with my Garmin 910Xt but it's a bit bulky and looks like this one is better for pool swimming....whereas the 910XT is probably better for OW swimming because its GPS.

stratcat 07-04-2012 04:23 AM

For what it's worth, Finis have recently released a little GPS unit (GPS only - clips onto goggles) that would be a good match with a watch like this or with the pool mate watches (which I have) which don't have GPS. They're about $140 or so. Good for OW swimming and leave it in the bag when at the pool.

Chris

Talvi 07-04-2012 08:30 AM

suggestions...?

I'm doing ow swimming so I read this thread with that perspective and was interested in what Chris wrote....
Quote:

Originally Posted by stratcat (Post 29078)
Finis have recently released a little GPS unit (GPS only - clips onto goggles) that would be a good match with a watch like this or with the pool mate watches (which I have) which don't have GPS. They're about $140 or so. Good for OW swimming

I started looking at watches prompted by the Suunto Ambit, but in reality they feel way OTT for me (I'm hardly an athlete!) or else they seem like Mickey Mouse aimed for FB etc., so I'd like to ask your advice. Hope that's ok here? Maybe I should have started another thread...

I'd like something for ow swimming, to get an easier and more accurate idea of distance and time than poring over Google maps. Even though I'm a poor swimmer it'd need to be accurate as +/- 10m would add up to a big difference at this point, swimming to and fro. (I'd also like to use it in much the same way for xc-skiing)

My idea is to get away from over-concern on metrics by having them readily available. With a suitable device I could follow what my body wants to do and then see how that has measured up rather than set and then see how those made me feel. Perhaps this is all diversionary though, but I feel it might be motivational and take the guesswork out of things.

nicka 07-04-2012 09:45 AM

The ultimate goggles

The ultimate goggles.

Built in GPS, lap counter, lap times, stroke count,heart rate, open water co-ordinates so you don't swim off course, blue tooth,tempo trainer, all data viewable in your goggles while swimming.

Hmm how good would it be :)

Nick

stratcat 07-04-2012 11:24 AM

Talvi - maybe the Garmin 910xt might suit your usage - others with more experience than me with these might chime in about this. I'm not so fussed about reviewing when I get home so the Finis one (which has no screen of any type) would suit me but the Garmin 910xt might be better for reviewing things on the go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicka (Post 29085)
The ultimate goggles.

Built in GPS, lap counter, lap times, stroke count,heart rate, open water co-ordinates so you don't swim off course, blue tooth,tempo trainer, all data viewable in your goggles while swimming.

Give it a few years... I know Google are (actually) working on 'wearable' PC devices like glasses etc. Sadly, the concept of actual Google Goggles (heh) probably won't happen but once the technology is out there, the swim manufacturers may pick up on the possibilities. (and maybe include email and Angry Birds...)

Chris

Talvi 07-04-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratcat (Post 29087)
once the technology is out there, the swim manufacturers may pick up on the possibilities. (and maybe include email and Angry Birds...) Chris

LoL Thanks Chris. I'm sure the guys over here (Finland) would like to see that! So, maybe I just need to start repeating the L'Oreal mantra and not look at the Visa bill :D

andyinnorway 07-04-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talvi (Post 29083)
I'm doing ow swimming so I read this thread with that perspective and was interested in what Chris wrote....

I started looking at watches prompted by the Suunto Ambit, but in reality they feel way OTT for me (I'm hardly an athlete!) or else they seem like Mickey Mouse aimed for FB etc., so I'd like to ask your advice. Hope that's ok here? Maybe I should have started another thread...

I'd like something for ow swimming, to get an easier and more accurate idea of distance and time than poring over Google maps. Even though I'm a poor swimmer it'd need to be accurate as +/- 10m would add up to a big difference at this point, swimming to and fro. (I'd also like to use it in much the same way for xc-skiing)

My idea is to get away from over-concern on metrics by having them readily available. With a suitable device I could follow what my body wants to do and then see how that has measured up rather than set and then see how those made me feel. Perhaps this is all diversionary though, but I feel it might be motivational and take the guesswork out of things.

Talvi, if you just want to know how far you swim then I use gulesider.no a lot as their mapping measures point to point so you can measure one end of a lake to another or you can plot a course around the edge of a lake if you choose to swim that way. I checked and it covers finland.

Talvi 07-04-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyinnorway (Post 29094)
Talvi, if you just want to know how far you swim then I use gulesider.no

Thanks Andy, I had a look. Found that it links to Eniro which is used here LoL Small world.

The drop down menus in http://www.gulesider.no and http://www.eniro.fi/kartta/ in Firefox don't work as designed (site not W3C compliant - designed for Microsoft!!) so I can't take advantage of the measuring tool and the superiority of the maps over what Google offers.

The biggest problem though is knowing exactly where I was and went :D

Talvi 07-08-2012 06:34 AM

Suunto Ambit

Anyone any experience of this:- Suunto Ambit ? Cheaper than the Garmin ...

CoachDavidShen 07-31-2012 06:39 PM

Well, my first FINIS Swimsense's band had its holes start ripping apart. Now my second FINIS Swimsense weirdly reset itself in the middle of the workout. My first was over a year old and out of warranty. The second is a bit less than a year.

Thankfully I got an Amazon email saying my new Garmin Swim watch has shipped. I'm hoping that it will last longer than my Swimsenses....

CoachDavidShen 08-02-2012 04:28 PM

This morning I swam with my new Garmin Swim watch.

Pretty decent overall. I customized a screen, but unfortunately didn't use the Rest timer function so had to depend on looking up at the wall clock more.

Also got spoiled with the Swimsense's auto lap/stop function. Had to retrain myself to hit the pause button after each interval.

Still no issues, worked great in the pool.

One issue I'm working out is the syncing with the ANT stick. I have my Garmin 910XT synced to my mac, but it is not recognizing my Swim watch. checking on that now.

mt6127 08-02-2012 05:11 PM

Speaking of gadgets...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen (Post 29069)
being a gadget freak, i of course had to pre-order one ;-). will post here on how it well it works. given that the band on my swimsense is deteriorating due to pool water exposure, i am anxious to give this one a try. i would swim with my Garmin 910Xt but it's a bit bulky and looks like this one is better for pool swimming....whereas the 910XT is probably better for OW swimming because its GPS.

Speaking of gadgets, a tech savvy friend who's new to TI and I were talking about developing a "virtual coach" tool. Imagine an underwater web cam married up to a notebook or smart phone app, that would allow you to video conference to a coach for real time viewing and discussion. At a $200 price point - hit or miss? assumes you have Wi-Fi or wireless internet on your notebook or phone..

CoachDavidShen 08-05-2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 30099)
Speaking of gadgets, a tech savvy friend who's new to TI and I were talking about developing a "virtual coach" tool. Imagine an underwater web cam married up to a notebook or smart phone app, that would allow you to video conference to a coach for real time viewing and discussion. At a $200 price point - hit or miss? assumes you have Wi-Fi or wireless internet on your notebook or phone..

i think the danger of putting an expensive laptop or smartphone near pool water would make this a tough sell, plus the problem of persistent and consistent internet to make a web conference continuous for the length of a coaching session could make this problematic. i have problems keeping a skype video call going for that long...perhaps you could try this over skype first and see if it would work?

CoachDavidShen 08-05-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen (Post 30098)
This morning I swam with my new Garmin Swim watch.

Pretty decent overall. I customized a screen, but unfortunately didn't use the Rest timer function so had to depend on looking up at the wall clock more.

Also got spoiled with the Swimsense's auto lap/stop function. Had to retrain myself to hit the pause button after each interval.

Still no issues, worked great in the pool.

One issue I'm working out is the syncing with the ANT stick. I have my Garmin 910XT synced to my mac, but it is not recognizing my Swim watch. checking on that now.

OK got the ANT stick syncing issue resolved. The Garmin Connect website's display of your intervals is pretty good. It also seems to be detecting the type of stroke pretty well too as I'm now working on the other 3.

I also started using the Rest interval mode on the watch which is nice because now I don't have to look up at the wall clock but can just look at my wrist to check rest times. this can be used for constant rest intervals as well as traditional swim intervals where you have a time interval for both the swim portion and the rest.

All in all, the Garmin Swim watch is pretty slick. I'm using it now instead of my Swimsense.

Now if only someone would allow me to store HR for the duration of a swim workout - a melding of FINIS ear clip HR monitor and storing it, and syncing it later with the web?

Talvi 08-06-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachDavidShen (Post 30158)
Now if only someone would allow me to store HR for the duration of a swim workout - a melding of FINIS ear clip HR monitor and storing it, and syncing it later with the web?

That clip sounds great, thanks.

I get that the watches are designed to drive traffic to websites etc but what's the pull of the website over pc's for users in all this?

p.s. I gave up on the Ambit - it has no alarms linked to functions eg HR so you have to keep checking! Not much better than sticking your finger on your wrist and counting imho!

truth1ness 08-28-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

OK got the ANT stick syncing issue resolved. The Garmin Connect website's display of your intervals is pretty good. It also seems to be detecting the type of stroke pretty well too as I'm now working on the other 3.

I also started using the Rest interval mode on the watch which is nice because now I don't have to look up at the wall clock but can just look at my wrist to check rest times. this can be used for constant rest intervals as well as traditional swim intervals where you have a time interval for both the swim portion and the rest.

All in all, the Garmin Swim watch is pretty slick. I'm using it now instead of my Swimsense.

Thanks for the review David. Would like to hear more about the pros and cons of each and any more thoughts since your last update.

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like the Swimsense advantage is the autolap feature so you don't have to press the button each lap (I'm surprised they didn't match this feature). Do you find having the press the button a big annoyance, or does it actually give you more accurate readings? It sounds like main advantage of the Garmin is the rest feature, which I'm assuming is a separate button you press to take breaks (or do TI drills), whereas taking breaks with the Swimsense messes up all your data? Are these two features the basic differentiators in picking one over the other?

CoachDavidShen 08-29-2012 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truth1ness (Post 30734)
Thanks for the review David. Would like to hear more about the pros and cons of each and any more thoughts since your last update.

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like the Swimsense advantage is the autolap feature so you don't have to press the button each lap (I'm surprised they didn't match this feature). Do you find having the press the button a big annoyance, or does it actually give you more accurate readings? It sounds like main advantage of the Garmin is the rest feature, which I'm assuming is a separate button you press to take breaks (or do TI drills), whereas taking breaks with the Swimsense messes up all your data? Are these two features the basic differentiators in picking one over the other?

Well right now it seems that the FINIS Swimsense site is up and down a bit (now up). That was annoying and was a reason to switch to the Garmin when I could not login for weeks.

Pushing the button is more accurate. I found the Swimsense autolap feature to be inaccurate - well it made me feel better because it told me I was swimming faster - but the more realistic times were always from hitting the lap button manually.

You can enter drill lengths/laps manually later into the Garmin. I haven't tried this yet.

One thing I noticed was that it was not recognizing my butterfly correctly. Well, I guess maybe my butterfly isn't all that great, but it would be nice to know that the watch knows I'm sorta doing the butterfly sometime...

Personally I think the Garmin is better - I did like the Swimsense but the problems with that product led me to the Garmin.

ktchua 03-27-2013 11:51 PM

Garmin 910XT vs Garmin Swim

Hi CoachDavidShen, I'd like to hear your thoughts on 910xt vs Garmin Swim on swim features and usability.

a) I know Swim has drill function and I wonder if it's more helpful for TI purposes.

b) Since I do not yet have a HRM or bike monitor, I'm guessing 910xt can serve my non-swimming workout. But its bulkier and only 20hr recharable life (unlike Garmin Swim that can last a year and can use it as regular watch).

c) 910XT's vibration alerts and I wonder if we can use it for better TI training. I was hoping it can function like a tempo trainer but looks like the alerts are only for distance and time and not for stroke counts or stroke timing.

Kien

tomoy 04-17-2013 07:07 PM

bump - looking for a watch - my Timex bust

Talvi 05-11-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Tomtom has announced a watch to be released by the end of this year that may do much of what you ask. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2417823,00.asp Sounds fun. You can sign up for notification of what's going on at the Tomtom site.

p.s The wait is over ... and the watch seems to be a bit of an anti-climax e.g doesn't provide much in the way of metrics, and is only a lap counter (with mixed reviews on accuracy)

lloyddinma 08-05-2015 02:21 PM

Garmin Swim: displaying double pool length.

As usual I am late to the party. Got my Garmin Swim just 3 days ago. Pretty much figured out how to use basic features.

This is the problem I am having: Sometimes I complete a lap and it records twice the length. This I see right away when I press the pause bottom.

Initially, I thought it was because I tapping the wall twice on arrival.

The only culprit which I plan to troubleshoot is maybe because I pushoff at the beginning of the the countdown timer to start first strole at the sound.

Thanks

celinaall 10-31-2017 06:55 AM

sure it is good?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talvi (Post 29095)
Thanks Andy, I had a look. Found that it links to Eniro which is used here LoL Small world.

The drop down menus in http://www.gulesider.no and http://www.eniro.fi/kartta/ in Firefox don't work as designed (site not W3C compliant - designed for Microsoft!!) so I can't take advantage of the measuring tool and the superiority of the maps over what Google offers.

The biggest problem though is knowing exactly where I was and went :D

Really? Recently i also want to find this

celinaall 10-31-2017 06:55 AM

It is really so good?

Really? Recently i also want to find this