Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Breaststroke (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Just starting... (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1045)

inca 12-22-2009 08:44 PM

Just starting...
 
I've decided to try to learn the breast stroke, which I've never even attempted before. Right from the get-go, I am having a problem. I don't seem to understand how to do the "rotation" in this stroke. According to my understanding of the video, the "rod" (in freestyle that would be from top of head down the length of my body) I rotate on, should be through the center horizontally. But I can't seem to do this at all. Is there a different way of describing this 'undulation' so that maybe I could figure it out?

ewa.swimmer 12-23-2009 12:43 AM

Something to try
 
Start in a superman glide with very relaxed arms. When you are mid glide push your chest down a little. You will notice that your arms separate. That is the beginning of the whole chain of events that makes up the breast stroke. I will sometimes go a whole length (very slowly) of just the chest press arm separation. This is also the beginning of butterfly.

ames 01-14-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inca (Post 7976)
I've decided to try to learn the breast stroke, which I've never even attempted before. Right from the get-go, I am having a problem. I don't seem to understand how to do the "rotation" in this stroke. According to my understanding of the video, the "rod" (in freestyle that would be from top of head down the length of my body) I rotate on, should be through the center horizontally. But I can't seem to do this at all. Is there a different way of describing this 'undulation' so that maybe I could figure it out?

Have you had any luck with this? I agree that superman glide is the place to start. A lot of people at the pool will pull back with their hands instead of getting a good glide with their arms outstretched and body streamlined. You want those arms out in front as much as possible. You shouldn't even have to use your arms, though of course you do. The forward movement comes from your kick and your body undulating. The kick is much more important than in freestyle. I used a kickboard (heresy!) to learn the kick without having to worry about breathing or anything else. Once you can propel yourself across the pool with a good frog-kick, you are almost there. My main problem at first was sinking too far underwater but pushing off from the wall in superman glide helped a lot, let me feel my body rising to the surface and knowing how to make that happen while swimming. Good luck.
ames

inca 01-18-2010 10:21 PM

Can't say I've had much success with this. But then again, I haven't really concentrated on it much. I have not had access to the pool much in the past few weeks so when I get there I try to concentrate on the breathing/freestyle which needs a lot of work. Thanks for the advice; it will be here for me when I'm ready again.

shuumai 01-19-2010 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inca (Post 7976)
I've decided to try to learn the breast stroke, which I've never even attempted before. Right from the get-go, I am having a problem. I don't seem to understand how to do the "rotation" in this stroke. According to my understanding of the video, the "rod" (in freestyle that would be from top of head down the length of my body) I rotate on, should be through the center horizontally. But I can't seem to do this at all. Is there a different way of describing this 'undulation' so that maybe I could figure it out?

In breaststroke I think the body pivots somewhere around the hips or waist. Don't worry about that in the beginning. The TI learning sequence begins with working on the arm sweeps. That can be done starting with a flutter kick in a streamlined position. And/or you could use a dolphin kick.

Start in the "I" position the way you might push off from the wall. Sweep your hands out to the "Y" position. Then sweep the arms back around to the "I" position. As you do the propulsive part of the arm movement, just allow your knees to bend naturally. You could use a dolphin kick to get yourself back into the "I" position. Or just keep fluttering all the way through the sequence.

Does that make ANY sense? haha It's easy to watch it than to try to read what I wrote!

inca 01-19-2010 04:30 PM

Shummai,
I'll try to figure this out next time I attempt breaststroke. I do that when I get frustrated with my progress (or not) on my freestyle breathing.

shuumai 01-19-2010 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inca (Post 8577)
Shummai,
I'll try to figure this out next time I attempt breaststroke. I do that when I get frustrated with my progress (or not) on my freestyle breathing.

OK, then. Here are some videos you might want to look over.

Undulation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHyhwyjVTFs

Kicking on your back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qnXIU_f-Zc

inca 01-19-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuumai (Post 8579)
OK, then. Here are some videos you might want to look over.

Undulation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHyhwyjVTFs

Kicking on your back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qnXIU_f-Zc

These are really good, thanks. You guys are so good at find videos; I often have trouble finding ones that show exactly what I am looking for.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.