Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Outside the Box: Open Water Swimming (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Shark Week (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1571)

ewa.swimmer 07-20-2010 09:48 PM

Shark Week
 
While swimming the Iron Man course this morning I got a small reminder of why I don't watch shark week. While turning my head to take a breath, there right next to me (well, okay maybe 6 feet away) there was a shark. It turned out to be a 4 - 5 foot white tip reef shark. They are not aggressive. It was enough to stop me in my tracks. He was curious but didn't come closer. He was fairly close to the beginning of the course (between buoy #5 & #6). I kept seeing things at the edge of my vision for the more than 2 miles left to swim.

You don't get these stories to tell when you just do pool swimming.

naj 07-21-2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer (Post 11770)
While swimming the Iron Man course this morning I got a small reminder of why I don't watch shark week. While turning my head to take a breath, there right next to me (well, okay maybe 6 feet away) there was a shark. It turned out to be a 4 - 5 foot white tip reef shark. They are not aggressive. It was enough to stop me in my tracks. He was curious but didn't come closer. He was fairly close to the beginning of the course (between buoy #5 & #6). I kept seeing things at the edge of my vision for the more than 2 miles left to swim.

You don't get these stories to tell when you just do pool swimming.

EWA, last week while swimming in the ocean for about 1.5hrs before getting back in the Bay, I suddenly remembered that several tagged sharks from The Farallons had been spotted swimming deep into the Bay as far as a place called Treasure Island. For a moment I thought, "Hmmm it would take much for one to swim up and blindside me right now when there is no visibility in the waters of the San Francisco Bay." But the thought quickly passed and I kept on swimming :)

Hope we haven't freaked any of you soon to b e open water enthusiasts away with this talk!!!!

Keep Swimming!
Naji

CoachBobM 07-21-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewa.swimmer (Post 11770)
He was curious but didn't come closer.

He was probably curious because you looked kind of like a human, and he hadn't realized until then that fish-like swimming was possible for humans.


Bob

DavidBarra 07-31-2010 02:51 AM

had a 10 foot blue shark follow me for a bit on my catalina swim last week. i didn't see it, but i did notice everyone on board my support boat staring and pointing. i don't watch shark week.

CoachJohnB 07-31-2010 06:53 PM

Just another reason that I don't care for open water.

naj 08-01-2010 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachJohnB (Post 11993)
Just another reason that I don't care for open water.

Coach John B you will come to San Francisco, you will get in that sub 60F water, you will swim fish-like, and you will like it! Do you hear me Mister???!!! :)

CoachJohnB 08-01-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naj (Post 12001)
Coach John B you will come to San Francisco, you will get in that sub 60F water, you will swim fish-like, and you will like it! Do you hear me Mister???!!! :)

Been there, done that and HATED IT! I am a pool rat. I do not care to ever swim open water again.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.