Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Swim types. (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5974)

Rincewind 05-03-2013 12:00 AM

Swim types.

This is pretty funny, but so true!

http://www.swimtypes.com/swimtypes_observationsheet.pdf

CoachSuzanne 05-03-2013 12:10 AM

This should go well.

Yes it's funny but true. Fortunately they are all fixable.

CoachJohnB 05-03-2013 12:15 AM

I fall more into the "swinger" stroke. A high elbow recovery kills my shoulders.

But unlike the descriptions for swinger, I do enjoy at least one other stroke, the backstroke. Breastroke...blah

CharlesCouturier 05-03-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rincewind (Post 38356)

This certainly is one of the greatest evolution in the way swimming *can* be taught, ie slightly differently depending on which type is the dominant one.

I sometimes hold type specific short workshops. For example, a 2h workshop aimed at frustrated Arnies with sinking legs that are pissed off because they die after 200m of swimming. It is then strictly forbidden to register if you're in a good mood and happy about your swimming LOL

Rincewind 05-03-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier (Post 38361)
This certainly is one of the greatest evolution in the way swimming *can* be taught, ie slightly differently depending on which type is the dominant one.

I sometimes hold type specific short workshops. For example, a 2h workshop aimed at frustrated Arnies with sinking legs that are pissed off because they die after 200m of swimming. It is then strictly forbidden to register if you're in a good mood and happy about your swimming LOL

Yeah, I definitely started somewhere in the Arnie category, but without the excessive upper body bulk.

CharlesCouturier 05-03-2013 01:41 AM

What I like in what you mentioned is that you talk about having started as... That's what these types are about. No one wants to remain at Arnie level, or Bambino, or OG. All these types usually evolve into either Smooth (closest to TI) or Swinger (physically not that remote from TI, psychologically completely off the chart. I've read that a dead brain is a good brain, and quite frankly in some cases for some people? It's a great attribute to be able to disconnect and reconnect 4 hours after, focussing on the stroke for 2 hours then disconnecting for 6 hours etc..., in say a 14hour long EC crossing)

Rincewind 05-03-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier (Post 38364)
What I like in what you mentioned is that you talk about having started as... That's what these types are about. No one wants to remain at Arnie level, or Bambino, or OG. All these types usually evolve into either Smooth (closest to TI) or Swinger (physically not that remote from TI, psychologically completely off the chart. I've read that a dead brain is a good brain, and quite frankly in some cases for some people? It's a great attribute to be able to disconnect and reconnect 4 hours after, focussing on the stroke for 2 hours then disconnecting for 6 hours etc..., in say a 14hour long EC crossing)

Yeah, I think one unique issue facing Arnies or any Arnie variants is that you are used to being good at sports and suddenly you drop into the pool and nothing works.

What took me a long time to realize is that working harder and longer is not going to improve my swimming, like it does in running for example.

Janos 05-03-2013 05:46 AM

No mention of the swimnut type?

paetoe 05-03-2013 08:40 AM

wondering that type will use keyboard as pull buoy :D

Richardsk 05-03-2013 08:59 AM

I think I may be an Arnie-Bambino-Overglider with aspirations. Definitely not a Kicktastic or Swinger.

How nice it would be to be a smoooothy!

What about a Terry-ite or a Shinji-ite?