Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Queries reg Freestyle, Snorkel and Goggles etc (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8279)

harishjindal 07-28-2015 01:25 PM

Queries reg Freestyle, Snorkel and Goggles etc

Dear All,

I am Harish, 32 from India. I am starting (as beginner) to learn freestyle on self coaching. My queries are:

1. In the store, I can find 1) Ultra efficient freestyle toolkit, 2) Outside the box: TI program for success in open water, 3) O2 in H2O: Self help course on breathing in swimming, 4) Turn TI way: longer pushoffs, faster turns.

My query: are any of 2), 3) or 4) included in tookit? Is only toolkit sufficient to be bought/followed first?

2. Will a routine smoked goggles be fine for practicing back balancing in afternoon hours in open pool? Are there goggles particularly made very dark tinted? Also, can the clear lens swim goggles be tinted dark by an optician (by spray etc or by usual tinting process)?

3. Is snorkel recommended or will it help in bettering my strokes? If yes, which snorkel should be bought? I mean is there any special snorkel for freestyle swimming or the usual snorkel for diving would do? Any references would be helpful

Regards,
Harish

tony0000 07-29-2015 05:17 AM

Regarding 3, I think I am one of the proponents around here of snorkels. I don't know how many agree with me, but I think they are great for getting the basic stroke down before adding breathing, which is the hardest part. You need to use a snorkel made for swimming. Unlike diving snorkels, they sit exactly in the middle of your face, not to the side. Finis makes them. There are two models. This is what I recommend, http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/finis-sw...-snorkel-1221/

Good luck,

Tony

Tom Pamperin 07-29-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harishjindal (Post 54352)
2. Will a routine smoked goggles be fine for practicing back balancing in afternoon hours in open pool? Are there goggles particularly made very dark tinted? Also, can the clear lens swim goggles be tinted dark by an optician (by spray etc or by usual tinting process)?

I swim outside in the sun a lot, and I use the standard smoke goggles with no problems.

I haven't used a snorkel at all, but I agree if you are going to, get one of the centrally-mounted swimming snorkels. Some of the people I train with use them and really like them.

Good luck!

sclim 07-29-2015 11:30 PM

I too am a beginner although I have progressed a lot following the drills and the general TI principles. I have now gone on to being able to breathe efficiently in whole stroking. I have found the snorkel for myself useful in the right place and situations to fine tune certain aspects of rotation, catch and balance.

However, on thinking about it a little, and recalling that I started the TI process exactly like it was recommended in the teaching manual and videos, I think there is a lot to be said for starting right at the beginning in the shallow pool, floating face down in Fish, in Superman, and in Skate positions, experiencing experimenting somewhat in balance, focusing on that aspect only, and standing up when you need to breathe. At the end of this process, you develop a sense of security and confidence in your own capabilities and survival ability with no gadgets or artificial aids. I suspect I may not have got that if I had used a snorkel from the very beginning.

Just my thoughts from a personal perspective.

I guess what I am thinking is that, despite the attraction of getting your eventual shopping list all set up, all you really need to get started is a pool, swim suit, goggles and the TI course video and/or book!

bkjagadish 07-30-2015 06:51 AM

Queries reg Freestyle, Snorkel and Goggles etc

Hi Mr Harish,
I'm from Bangalore and noticed that you have mentioned.... " In the store, I can find .... etc etc " So I just wanted to know whether TI BOOKS & OTHER PRODUCTS are available in Bangalore/India .... if so, where ? Cost ? and any other information related to TI ...
Thanks & Regards
bkjagadish

harishjindal 07-30-2015 08:45 AM

Thanks everyone for taking time out to respond.

Mr BKJagdish, by store I meant, TI online store. I was referring to toolkit/videos and other resources all of which are available for sale (and some are free as well) in digital form. So anyone in the world can buy them as there is no physical delivery involved.

As far as the accessories concerned, I guess TI is delivering only in USA. For buying accessories, you need to buy either from India or from global sites which deliver worldwide.