Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Which says more to you? Expertise or Mastery (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8645)

terry 04-13-2016 04:51 PM

Which says more to you? Expertise or Mastery

I'm putting final touches on the next TI self-coaching aid, a followup to last year's release of the Ultra Efficient Freestyle Complete Self-Coaching Toolkit.Since I began working on it, I've used the working title "Expert" Skills, but as I get closer to release I wonder whether TI *Mastery* Skills might be the better term-of-art. The technique skills include Catch-and-Press, impeccably-tuned 2BK, and Seamless Breathing. I'm inviting input before making this critical decision. What's your most instinctive response to the term Expert vs Mastery? Does one strike you as more inviting, more accessible, more inspiring? And why?

Tom Pamperin 04-13-2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry (Post 58270)
I'm putting final touches on the next TI self-coaching aid, a followup to last year's release of the Ultra Efficient Freestyle Complete Self-Coaching Toolkit.Since I began working on it, I've used the working title "Expert" Skills, but as I get closer to release I wonder whether TI *Mastery* Skills might be the better term-of-art. The technique skills include Catch-and-Press, impeccably-tuned 2BK, and Seamless Breathing. I'm inviting input before making this critical decision. What's your most instinctive response to the term Expert vs Mastery? Does one strike you as more inviting, more accessible, more inspiring? And why?

Terry,

I love that you're seeking feedback for this. I like "mastery" a lot better, as anyone can imagine themselves working toward "mastery" but might think themselves undeserving of the "expert" label.

I think "mastery" is more inspiring, and also lends itself better to fitting the non-tangible aspects of TI. Just off the top of my head--I'll add more if I think of anything else.

Tom

Zenturtle 04-13-2016 05:17 PM

Mastery sounds better. Includes body and mind.
Expert sounds more rational,theoretical, technical, learnt from a book.

Danny 04-13-2016 05:31 PM

I had no opinion on this until I read the above two responses, but now I agree with both of them. Mastery sounds better.

Richardsk 04-13-2016 05:35 PM

I'm also in favour of mastery.

Tom Pamperin 04-13-2016 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zenturtle (Post 58274)
Mastery sounds better. Includes body and mind.
Expert sounds more rational,theoretical, technical, learnt from a book.

Yes, you said what I was trying to explain about the "expert" label. Also, mastery implies the development of discipline (again, a goal to work toward) while expert implies someone who has developed a high degree of skill (and may thus be less inviting).

CoachStuartMcDougal 04-13-2016 05:43 PM

Mastery implies continuous improvement, commitment, seeking perfection as perceptions and values change. I found this description of "personal mastery": "Personal mastery is a set of specific principles and practices that enables a person to learn, create a personal vision, and view the world objectively". See: http://study.com/academy/lesson/pers...ples-quiz.html . Unique to each individual, not a declared level.

Expert is more high level of skill and understanding, a level for the few, not the many. Expert doesn't imply continuous improvement or change.

Stuart

tomoy 04-13-2016 07:26 PM

+1 for Mastery. Expert has the sense of having arrived and likely on a plane of best-ever (Olympic) expertise. It invites critique as well.

Mastery has that ongoing progress feel and coincidentally relates with Masters swimming.

ti97 04-13-2016 08:17 PM

an expert is someone that knows the errors and how to avoid them, but mastery gives a connotation of continual learning....I think mastery is more appropriate

gary p 04-13-2016 09:17 PM

Without referring to any official definitions, here are my perceptions:

An Expert is someone who is highly proficient at the performance of a task or set of tasks.

A Master is someone who not only performs with high proficiency, but also intuitively understands the theory behind the various components of the task or tasks. Not only do they understand the "how," but also the "why."