Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Swimming In Triathlon (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   newbe. reached my peak - need coach. (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8282)

rramirez1 07-29-2015 04:15 PM

newbe. reached my peak - need coach.

hi everyone. I discovered TI about a year ago. im 43. I did the 2014 san diego TriRock Olympic (my first Tri). swimming was my least experienced discipline and I sucked! it took me 47 minutes to swim 1500 meters. I studied TI and hit the pool. one year later, 1500 meters in the pool is a constant 27 minutes!!! that's 20 minutes faster!

here is my problem. I have reached what I would consider "peak" self coaching status. I cannot break 1:43 per 100 (average). slower stroke, faster stroke, don't matter, cant seem to get to the next level.

I swim at minimum 2 days a week, but maintain a decent 3 days a week schedule that im in the pool. one day for speed, second for distance, and the third for drills.

I need a TI coach. I am in San Diego (chula vista to be exact). I need to break to the next level, and I think I have done all I can on my own. i have a 3 to 4 year Kona plan, and had set my goals and expectations to swim the 2.4 in an hour.

to share the best moments i have had so far with TI:
when i started swimming last year i would see people in the pool and think "wow, i wish i could swim like that". today, on a couple of occasions, i have had people ask me "do you swim for competition?" and just last week, i was told "wow, you have great technique". for this - i say THANKS Terry! TI rocks!!

CoachStuartMcDougal 07-29-2015 04:29 PM

Hi rramirez,

Great to hear of your interest and progress with TI. Coach Jan Javier coaches at Coronado, contact him at coach@silkyswimmer.com . Coach Dave Cameron coaches 2 day TI workshops every other month or so at Coronado. Next one scheduled I believe in Nov, contact distancedave@gmail.com I coach a one day Advanced Skills workshop about 3-4 times a year at Coronado as well, may schedule one in October. I'm local in LA, feel free to join my masters squad m/w/f eves at LA Valley College (Sherman Oaks) as a guest if you happen to come through LA.

Happy Laps!

Stuart
www.mindbodyandswim.net

descending 08-08-2015 05:47 PM

I will be interested to follow you with this quest if you wouldn't mind updating as you progress that would be great. I'm not currently an active triathlete, but I did the swim portion of an IM relay for some friends several years ago. I swam a little over 55 in a wetsuit so not sure what that would equate to without probably a few minutes. I was swimming about 20,000 yards a week and doing all speed work and no long swims I just kept my normal Masters program on the table. A 60 flat IM swim is ~ 1:25 100 yard pace. I'm not a TI follower in practice, but have started following along here as a close friend has taken to it and he asks me all kinds of questions about things like distance per stroke which are not things I have ever focused on. I enjoy learning new things so will be quite interested to see how this works out for you as you manipulate the variables.

Do you envision ever increasing your stroke rate to break the hour? I ask b/c to swim 4200 yards in an hour there is a substantial fitness level that has to be achieved and 2-3 days might be a tough thing. 4-5 for sure you can get it done. Will be extremely interested to see how this works for you please keep us updated.

If I could offer up one more thing about the crowd you will be with for a 60 flat or better swim. There is a lot of drafting and it's close quarters so prepare to have people touching you and getting bumped around, hands and arms etc. That was one thing I was a little surprised with b/c drafting isn't something I was used to in that proximity. Of course the start is always crazy, then it thinned a bit as the overzealous tired out after a few hundred meters and then the packs formed. Another way to find some speed to get from your 1:43 pace to the 1:25 pace you need is to make sure you are making the most of the draft b/c it is a huge factor. I don't know what your drafting skills are currently, but if they are not good you could potentially pick up 10 seconds per 100 by honing great drafting skills. At any rate, swimming with the 60 flat and faster crowd gets really bumpy and frisky so train to that scenario if you can. In some ways it's easier in those packs once the fitness is there, but if you aren't prepared to have people 'in your bubble' it can throw off the day.

rramirez1 08-25-2015 12:53 AM

this is a bummer - i have emailed all people listed and have had no replies. i am located in Chula Vista - there was a Masters Swim meet at Loma Verde pool (within walking distance from home) - i call them, and they no longer meet. ARG!

i looked on the drop down category for "find a coach" and the nearest area is Los Angeles to me. so i emailed them (two contacts) and asked for advice finding someone close to me - again, no replies.

anymore leads you all can help me with????

Ricardo
619-587-6532
bajaramirez@gmail.com

CoachStuartMcDougal 08-25-2015 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rramirez1 (Post 54765)
this is a bummer - i have emailed all people listed and have had no replies. i am located in Chula Vista - there was a Masters Swim meet at Loma Verde pool (within walking distance from home) - i call them, and they no longer meet. ARG!

i looked on the drop down category for "find a coach" and the nearest area is Los Angeles to me. so i emailed them (two contacts) and asked for advice finding someone close to me - again, no replies.

anymore leads you all can help me with????

Ricardo
619-587-6532
bajaramirez@gmail.com

Hi Ricardo,

Did you contact Jan Javier? Which two contacts are you not getting a response?

Stuart
MindBodyAndSWIM

wildnrg001 09-04-2015 04:26 AM

I think you have determination and persistence and that won't fail you on becoming a better triathlete. Keep the motivation and stay focused. :)

terry 09-04-2015 11:09 AM

Improving your Pace

Ricardo
Improving swim pace is no mystery. The number of yards you train, or the heart rate at which you swim them, are only peripheral factors. The determining factor is what we call the 'math of speed.'

I.E. Stroke Length x Stroke Rate = Velocity, or SL X SR = V. Velocity over time equals pace.
We can calculate all of these quite simply by plugging in Strokes Per Length (SPL) for SL and determine or adjust SR with great precision with a Tempo Trainer.

When you say you can't break 1:43 pace for 100y are you referring to practice pace? I.E. Please tell me a typical set. E.G. If you swim a series of 100y repeats in the pool,
1) How many repeats in a typical set?
2) On what interval do you swim them?
3) What pace times do you swim? And how consistent are your pace times on the set?
4) What is your stroke count on such a set? And how consistent is your stroke count?

E.G. Might you swim 10 x 100 on an interval of 2:00, averaging 1:43 at an average SPL of 20 strokes per 25 yards.
In that set how great a range would you have from slowest to fastest 100. Can you keep them within say 2 to 3 seconds. Or is the range closer to 10 seconds?
What about stroke count? Can you keep your SPL range within 3-4 stroke counts, say 18 to 21? Or would the range be greater than that?
And finally, how tall are you? There should be a relationship between your SPL and height. Check here for our Green Zone height-indexed charts of efficient stroke counts in 25y or 25m pools.

If you provide answers to these questions, we can far more specifically and accurately assess what is keeping you from swimming faster and suggest prescriptions.
I think you will learn you have far more potential to coach yourself effectively and improve steadily, possibly supplementing your self-coaching with a periodic technique checkup with a TI coach--which will be available on-line shortly.

alexau 05-26-2016 07:23 PM

newbe reached my peak need coach

Hello

I am about to coach my first swim team, and would like some suggestions on how to create a good training plan for my swimmers. I swam for 8 years, and have had two years of coaching experience in a different sport rowing. I have fifteen swimmers total grades 8-12, boys and girls. Our practices will be 90 long. How can I make sure to get a balance between dryland, distance and sprint, as well as spending time on individual stroke development?

Thank you for any suggestions

CoachBobM 05-26-2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexau (Post 59163)
Hello

I am about to coach my first swim team, and would like some suggestions on how to create a good training plan for my swimmers. I swam for 8 years, and have had two years of coaching experience in a different sport rowing. I have fifteen swimmers total grades 8-12, boys and girls. Our practices will be 90 long. How can I make sure to get a balance between dryland, distance and sprint, as well as spending time on individual stroke development?

Thank you for any suggestions

If you're going to be coaching a swim team (as opposed to a triathlon team), then the "Swimming in Triathlon" section of this forum is not the best place to post your question, since many of the people who frequent this section may have never done competitive swimming, while many of the people who do competitive swimming may not frequent this section..

The first thing I'd suggest you do is to find out where the kids are coming from in terms of their swimming. If you are taking over an existing team, you should find out what they've been used to in their practices, and the same is true if this is a new team but some of the kids have done competitive swimming in the past. I'd suggesting talking both to the kids and to their parents, since you may not get exactly the same story from both. You should also observe and, ideally, record their various strokes so that you know what you're starting with.

The more you are going to be deviating from the regimen the kids have been used to, the more explanation you should be prepared to give for why you're doing what you're doing. Be aware, too, that if not much attention has been given to stroke technique in the past, the kids may think their technique is good even though it's not.

A good resource I'd recommend getting is Art Angst's book Long Strokes in a Short Seasons, which is available through this site:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/store/...l#.V0d7VpDmp9A

Art is a coach who transitioned the team he was coaching from yardage-based practices to technique-based practices. Keep in mind that 8-12-year-olds are not likely to be doing all that much distance in competition, so any distance you have them do in practice should be planned as an opportunity for them to practice technique.

The general plan I'd suggest you adopt is to spend most of the practice time having them practice technique at relatively slow paces, and to mix in times when they practice maintaining that good technique at faster stroke rates.

There are a number of dryland drills we do in Total Immersion that are designed to help swimmers develop and perfect good technique in the water, and those can be particularly useful if you are limited to 90 minutes in the water per practice but have some time with the kids on deck before they go in.

Bob

terry 05-27-2016 02:51 PM

New Coach

Bob - Thanks very much for responding to Alex's query.
Alex - Bob has given you the very best advice available.
In addition to Art Aungst's book, I would also recommend Lou Tharp's book The Overachiever's Diary as a good resource. Though Lou wrote this book about his hugely successful experience coaching them West Point Triathlon team (in his first season he took the men and women from 13th and 15th place at Collegiate Triathlon Nationals to 2nd and 3rd respectively) his book gives a detailed day-by-day account of his thinking, his communications with the team, and the practices he gave. It was 100% TI methodology.

One more resource I suggest is visit the Free Stuff section of the TI digital store and download the Green Zone chart. This will give you guidance on stroke counts to aim for with each swimmer you coach, based on height.

Finally, I suggest you also post your query on the TI Swimming Facebook group.
https://www.facebook.com/Total-Immer...-111263164506/