Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Favorite Practices and Sets (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tempo Trainer Technical Question (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4008)

CoachBobM 12-21-2012 02:59 AM

Tempo Trainer Technical Question

Has anyone here ever had the battery on a Tempo Trainer die? Mine recently stopped working, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's just the battery that needs to be replaced, or whether the whole device is kaput. The only symtom I noticed shortly before it died was that the parts of a digit that weren't supposed to be on were slightly on, which made it harder to read the numbers. Does that normally happen when the battery is about to go, or is it a sign of a more serious problem?

Bob

Grant 12-21-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachBobM (Post 33364)
Has anyone here ever had the battery on a Tempo Trainer die? Mine recently stopped working, and I'm trying to figure out whether it's just the battery that needs to be replaced, or whether the whole device is kaput. The only symtom I noticed shortly before it died was that the parts of a digit that weren't supposed to be on were slightly on, which made it harder to read the numbers. Does that normally happen when the battery is about to go, or is it a sign of a more serious problem?

Bob

Can't answer that specific question. However years back a guy on this forum talked how he used a fine hacksaw and cut off the back, replaced the battery and super glued the back, back onto the body of the watch. I remember him saying just to be precise and be accurate with the saw and it worked well.

andyinnorway 12-21-2012 06:33 AM

The newer pro version has replaceable battery and it floats but my experience was that the battery seal was dreadful so it only lasted a few weeks. I bought a blue one, try to remember to turn it off and have decided its acceptable to purchase a new one every 2 years or so.

CharlesCouturier 12-21-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyinnorway (Post 33373)
The newer pro version has replaceable battery and it floats but my experience was that the battery seal was dreadful so it only lasted a few weeks. I bought a blue one, try to remember to turn it off and have decided its acceptable to purchase a new one every 2 years or so.

Yeah, but in the same time, Finis is well aware that they've had quality issues with the yellow one. I'm a reseller. I got roughly a 10% defective rate. That's a lot, but everyone's happy as the service is good (especially mine, since I always trade for a new unit without asking a single question).

Yellow is the way to go I find. But the blue is much cheaper.

CoachSuzanne 12-30-2012 12:25 AM

unfortunately they are phasing out the blues. They are still selling the non-pro, but now in a yellow color, so the pro & non-pro are now yellow.

I have never met a TT pro that was reliable, and if I'm at the pool with a non-functioning TT or don't have enough working TT for my group, then I'm a grumpy swimmer. I've had the blue ones go kaput as well and it happens, but I prefer reaching into my bag and being fairly certain the thing is going to work.

The yellow ones I've seen with water inside, cracked cases and non-functioning LEDs. The blue ones all I've ever seen is that eventually they stop working (usually I lose them before they stop working)

grandall 12-30-2012 01:05 AM

I've used the blue TT for the past 2 years both in the pool and OW. It's reliable day to day use reminds me of the old timex watch commercial "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking" I actually ordered two blue TT at the time because I heard you can't replace the batteries once they die. I really haven't heard much good about the pro series TT.

CoachStuartMcDougal 12-30-2012 04:00 AM

Yes, I've had the blues die, usually after six months of use, sometimes sooner. Numbers begin to fade and then funny things occur. You can split them and replace battery, but no longer water proof - but I have used a plastic ziplock to keep water tight (very Scottish of me). Unlike Suzanne, I've had good luck with the Pro and are the only ones I use at workshops now and sell to students. But blue or yellow- Pro on non pro, if you forget them in your cap and the TT goes tumbling down to the concrete deck after removing cap, good chance they will crack. Once TT cracked - it's a matter of time before the leak and are dead. I have sucessfully replaced the battery in the Pro, but was very careful to seal correctly - and never drop TT on the deck. Also love the Pro with the 3 presets, #1 sec/stroke, #2 lap interval and also use for open water length (i.e. 22 seconds with 19 strokes beep to beep), #3 SPM strokes per minute - just a conversion of #1 sec/stroke.

andyinnorway 12-30-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesCouturier (Post 33392)
Yeah, but in the same time, Finis is well aware that they've had quality issues with the yellow one. I'm a reseller. I got roughly a 10% defective rate. That's a lot, but everyone's happy as the service is good (especially mine, since I always trade for a new unit without asking a single question).

Yellow is the way to go I find. But the blue is much cheaper.

swimshop in Norway weren't so helpful regarding the return of mine, I called them twice and the 'one' guy who could help me with a finis product never seemed to be in the office, how convenient.

Perhaps one of us will be smart enough to invent a TT rubber cover so that like our iphones our TT's can handle more concrete.

CoachBobM 12-30-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachStuartMcDougal (Post 33595)
Yes, I've had the blues die, usually after six months of use, sometimes sooner. Numbers begin to fade and then funny things occur. You can split them and replace battery, but no longer water proof - but I have used a plastic ziplock to keep water tight (very Scottish of me). Unlike Suzanne, I've had good luck with the Pro and are the only ones I use at workshops now and sell to students. But blue or yellow- Pro on non pro, if you forget them in your cap and the TT goes tumbling down to the concrete deck after removing cap, good chance they will crack. Once TT cracked - it's a matter of time before the leak and are dead. I have sucessfully replaced the battery in the Pro, but was very careful to seal correctly - and never drop TT on the deck. Also love the Pro with the 3 presets, #1 sec/stroke, #2 lap interval and also use for open water length (i.e. 22 seconds with 19 strokes beep to beep), #3 SPM strokes per minute - just a conversion of #1 sec/stroke.

Well, that sounds like there really isn't much use in trying to replace the battery, so I might as well just get a new one. Thanks!

Bob

andyinnorway 12-30-2012 08:50 PM

am thinking this would probably work as a cover to protect the blue TT's? and for 99p I think I'll give it a go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Sili...item51a6255a23