Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Favorite Practices and Sets (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   15 X 1500M? Why not!!! (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2439)

naj 06-19-2011 11:19 PM

15 X 1500M? Why not!!!

Its funny how things come to you out of the blue. Case in point, this afternoon while I was enjoying the sunshine of my lovely city, I had a revelation. I've been looking for some interesting pool sets to do and then I read about a friend of mine who did a wild set while preparing for his English Channel swim. 15 x 1500m. I thought about it and realized that although it would be challenging I should give it a whirl. Here's how its going to work - hopefully - I go in at 6am armed with my favorite feeds waiting for me near my lane, push off and just keep swimming. After every set, i stop for 30- 45 ecs, feed and start all over again. yes that's right only 30 sec rest in between sets. i want to make this as close to real case scenario for The Cook Strait as possible, though those feedings I will try to keep to 15-20 sec. Anyway, I'm planning on doing this next month at a 50m pool on the campus of The University of San Francisco. I'll let you know how it goes!

Keep Swimming!
Naji

AWP 06-20-2011 05:04 PM

Naj,
I'd only recommend that you have a 'goal' for each repeat, within each repeat or blocks of repeats.
Will someone be spotting you?
I'm amazed the pool will remain open for that period of time.
Can you not do something similar in OW? Too cold?
Perhaps it's time to delve further into the other strokes for variety and 'stamina' (?)
Have fun my friend!

AWP 06-20-2011 06:23 PM

Here is a set I did last week,
4x250FR + 4x100IM as
The IMs were done between 250 repeats with short rest after 250s.
On the 250s my plan was to ultimately increase pace with each succeeding repeat while first increasing spl by 1 or 2 strokes in the second half of each repeat. Then try and subtract at least 1 stroke while still holding or increasing pace.
I managed to increase pace pretty easily until the final 250 when I returned to the lower stroke length that I began with, however still came in at a time several seconds faster.
On the IMs my focus was on rhythm and so began with a quicker tempo and a spl or two higher then focused on reducing the counts with each different swim stroke while trying to hold the 'same' tempo. I did this by feel and felt successful.
Just some fun food for thought.
Incidentally you can add as many rounds to a set like this that will keep you successfully engaged.

Best,
Alan

JBeaty 06-20-2011 07:47 PM

Naj,

While I think you are nuts for doing this set, though I do wish you the best of luck, I would defintily have some goals in mind for the set.
You might consider doing speed play swims within each 1500. 1) A gradual descend of 100's by time. 2) Descend by 300's. 3) Descend by stroke count. 4) On the odd number 50's, add a brisk swim. On the evens, calm swim on the way back. 5) etc, etc, etc until you have finished.

If your only game plan is to swim 15x1500 meters, it will be a long day. The more tired you get, the longer the day becomes.

Good Luck.

Rincewind 06-20-2011 10:08 PM

Ultra distance athletes incorporate sets like that into their training to get an idea of what their bodies will go through and to rehearse the food and fluid intake routine for the actual event.

Those are really the only benefits of doing something like that.

naj 06-20-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rincewind (Post 20282)
Ultra distance athletes incorporate sets like that into their training to get an idea of what their bodies will go through and to rehearse the food and fluid intake routine for the actual event.

Those are really the only benefits of doing something like that.

Exactly the reason why I'm doing this. However, AWP and JBeaty make good points. Trude I could do this in ow and plan on it, but the logistics for this are simple (i.e. no support craft). Yeah its a nutty set but I never get bored in the water even in the pool. Thanks to all three of you for your invaluable support.

Naji

westyswoods 06-21-2011 12:26 AM

Time

Naj,

Do you have any expectation and or idea of total time for this event?

What is the water temp in the Straits and time you figure it will take? I ask because yesterday I was in Manitowoc, WI for fathers day and thought of going for a Lake Michigan swim. Thought is as far as I got when I got to the Lake wind was out of NE waves two to four feet air temp 56 with water temp 54 now. Fifty four water is cold what is the normal Bay temp?

good luck and keep us posted

Swim Silent and Be Well
Westy

naj 06-21-2011 01:34 AM

Hey Westy,

The Cook Strait might take as long as 8-10 hrs, so I'm planning on staying in 12. The old adage of marathon swimming; "Plan for the worst hope for the best." At the moment the temps are hovering between 53-55F. I can last three hours in that water. The Cook Strait averages around 60-63F in March. For me after two hours it becomes mental and I know what I need to do to make it, Dave Barra and Terry have given me some sage advice.

Naji

JBeaty 06-21-2011 05:19 PM

Naj,

Another point that I believe is critical for finishing 15-1500 swims. This set is 22,500 meters.
If you have not done this much yardage(errr...meterage) in a single swim before, don't try to do all 15 the very first tie.
I would recommend starting off with a modest goal of 3-4x1500 swims. This will allow you to get use to the distance, the repeats, the mental/phyiscal fatigue that goes along with the repeats with little rest.
As your body adjust, add 1-2 repeats until you have achieved your goal of 15

John

naj 06-21-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBeaty (Post 20299)
Naj,

Another point that I believe is critical for finishing 15-1500 swims. This set is 22,500 meters.
If you have not done this much yardage(errr...meterage) in a single swim before, don't try to do all 15 the very first tie.
I would recommend starting off with a modest goal of 3-4x1500 swims. This will allow you to get use to the distance, the repeats, the mental/phyiscal fatigue that goes along with the repeats with little rest.
As your body adjust, add 1-2 repeats until you have achieved your goal of 15

John

John - as always - your give great advice. I was just thinking about this and although I have gone long in ow in the pool it is another matter. Maybe I should look into this aspect more and try 3-4 and build up. I tend to get fixated on things and not look at all the variables some time. Thanks again John!

Naji