Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Pressure when doing Zen Skating (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=200)

armania 01-20-2009 12:07 AM

Pressure when doing Zen Skating

Hello,

Been a big TI fan for quite a while :) Now, I'm doing Lesson 2 & 3 of Easy Freestyle and quite happy with the results so far (though far from perfect). Anyway, to prepare for Lesson 4 (Zen Skate & Switch), I tried my hands at it in between the lessons. Here's what happened, when I drew my hand as instructed, I felt pressure from above (hope that is the correct word) that made my whole body sink deeper, and also it impeded my movement. Only when I did return my hand to its position, everything went back to normal again (no pressure and smooth movement). So, what happened to me?? What have I done wrong? I'm afraid that I can't do the whole stroke if the problem persists.

Thanks guys,

P.S. Actually this is a repost, I posted this on Sunday but for some reason it hasn't appeared in the forum :(.

daveblt 01-20-2009 12:53 AM

It is normal to sink a little in zenswitch as long as you sink evenly but it will help to keep the lead hand out front on track with hand below elbow leaning forward in to the water and by looking down with head in line .Don't over roll to stacked shoulders .

Dave

armania 01-20-2009 02:37 AM

Thanks Dave, now I know I'm not doing anything wrong (Yes you're right, my body seemed to sink evenly). One more thing, that sinking position started even when I tried to lift my hand to start doing the zen so I guess it is still normal right? So, I guess even in whole stroke that slight sinking when we lift our hand is normal (I hope I'm right).

The other day I tried swimming by using swim cap (Nike silicone cap). I don't know what went wrong but when I swam my head felt very heavy seemed unruly so I just took it off and everything went normal again.

naj 01-20-2009 09:01 AM

The relaxed hand should always be your goal. If your stiff your going to sink a bit. Also that stiff hand could contribute to the head and spine not being in line (i.e. laser-like fashion).

With regards to the swim cap, if you put it on dry then ari might have got underneath causing it too feel a bit odd. I use a silicon cap and wet my hair and cap before I put it on, never had a problem. You might try a latex one instead.

CoachDave 01-20-2009 02:14 PM

Zen vs Zipper

In zen, the body should be a bit more tilted in, and the elbow should be a lot more out. If you are sinking significantly, you are probably lifting too high. i see many people who think they are barely clearing the water each time but actually they are lifted straight up from the shoulder.
I like chaning positions across the pool. If your forearm is two feet long, try starting across with your first zenskate having the entire arm just under or at the surface. Lift it only two inches each time. if you are doing this right, it should take 12 or 13 lifts to get all the way up, and along the way you will find that place where you go from smooth balance to sinking. Go back a step and you've probably found the right angle for your shoulder to elbow line. From there, allow the forearm to tense lightly as it swings a bit wider, and you can move into a recovery that comes out of the water.

armania 01-21-2009 12:29 AM

Thanks naj and CoachDave, will try your suggestions when I get to the pool. Wait for further update :)

armania 01-24-2009 12:14 PM

Coach Dave, perfect solution, today I got to the pool and tried your suggestion. Bingo! everything went smoothly :)

Naj, also I tried wetting my hair and cap and the results just as you said ;)

Actually, I have another problem (as always with a newbie) but I guess I have to post a new thread :)

ny1301 01-29-2009 01:08 AM

Did you see the girl who lost a leg swimming in Olympic?

sorry.. wrong post.