Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Swimming In Triathlon (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Adding speed to the mix (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6912)

tlamadeo 12-04-2013 08:18 PM

Adding speed to the mix

Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster :) I just started swimming last year with hopes to complete my first tri in 2013. I started by self-teaching based on the TI books & videos, but quickly got stuck and seeked out a TI coach (coach Danny in Boulder, Colorado). He helped me get through my sticking points and nail down a decent stroke. In July 2013 I competed in a sprint tri and swam well but very slow (750m in open water in about 18:30). From there I continued to fine-tune my stroke until I finally achieved that effortless form I was seeking. I can now hop in the pool and crank out a mile with no stops pretty easily, but my times are still very slow for my gender/age group (32 M). In the last three weeks I've done 2 one mile swims per week and just can't crack 36 minutes, which I feel is about 10 mins slower than I could be. In talking with Coach Danny, he feels my next step is to get a tempo trainer and train myself to stroke faster. I think this is a great idea, as I definitely over-glide and stroke too slow.

Does anyone on the board have experience with using a tempo trainer to increase speed? Is there a certain protocol I should be using? Something like start with 1.4 s and decrease by 0.1 each session? I think that's what Terry said in one of his podcasts, but unfortunately I didn't take notes while listening.

Thanks in advance!!!
~Tony

AWP 12-04-2013 08:57 PM

Tony
Check out the other conferences especially "Favorite Practices and Sets" and Terry's latest post which are pertinent. Good luck and welcome! Hope to hear lots from you.

Best
Alan

tlamadeo 12-04-2013 09:30 PM

Great, thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Alan! This "Asymmetric Pyramid Tempo Practice" sounds like exactly what I need.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AWP (Post 44071)
Tony
Check out the other conferences especially "Favorite Practices and Sets" and Terry's latest post which are pertinent. Good luck and welcome! Hope to hear lots from you.

Best
Alan

andyinnorway 12-21-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlamadeo (Post 44070)
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster :) I just started swimming last year with hopes to complete my first tri in 2013. I started by self-teaching based on the TI books & videos, but quickly got stuck and seeked out a TI coach (coach Danny in Boulder, Colorado). He helped me get through my sticking points and nail down a decent stroke. In July 2013 I competed in a sprint tri and swam well but very slow (750m in open water in about 18:30). From there I continued to fine-tune my stroke until I finally achieved that effortless form I was seeking. I can now hop in the pool and crank out a mile with no stops pretty easily, but my times are still very slow for my gender/age group (32 M). In the last three weeks I've done 2 one mile swims per week and just can't crack 36 minutes, which I feel is about 10 mins slower than I could be. In talking with Coach Danny, he feels my next step is to get a tempo trainer and train myself to stroke faster. I think this is a great idea, as I definitely over-glide and stroke too slow.

Does anyone on the board have experience with using a tempo trainer to increase speed? Is there a certain protocol I should be using? Something like start with 1.4 s and decrease by 0.1 each session? I think that's what Terry said in one of his podcasts, but unfortunately I didn't take notes while listening.

Thanks in advance!!!
~Tony

my first mile was tt 1.38 time was 31.45 I think. You need to keep pushing your max stroke rate to enable max+20% feel really relaxed. Good luck.

thomasusa80 09-29-2014 11:34 AM

Incredible, much obliged concerning indicating me in the right bearing, Alan! This "Topsy-turvy Pyramid Tempo Practice" sounds like precisely what I need.

_Edwordstephen_