Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Racing (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New backstroke record - Nice technique (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=454)

Richardsk 05-15-2009 10:04 PM

New backstroke record - Nice technique

Impressive swimming from Ryosuke Irie here. Lovely technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cslxxJU-A5U

shuumai 05-15-2009 11:00 PM

It seems that Ryosuke-san's arms enter directly above his shoulders instead of toward the centre line. I don't see what's so special about the kick, but the commentator mentioned how they rotate(?).

Richardsk 05-15-2009 11:12 PM

I thought I could detect a slight rhythmic irregularity in the kick - a sort of dancing movement. I'd need to watch it a lot to see. It's obviously doing the business, though. It is amazing how slight of build he is. Definitely the wiry eel type rather than the muscular type. I imagine his legs are quite muscular, though, and he obviously has plenty of ankle flexibility. It will be interesting to see how he does in Rome.

AWP 05-16-2009 02:54 AM

Call me crazy gents but I think I just witnessed a 2bk in a world record backstroke!
His head stability impeccable as his core rotates "just enough" and in great timing with his full extension.
Quiet entry too. Pretty cool.

Richardsk 05-16-2009 03:53 PM

I dont think it's a two-beat kick, but he may be toning down the intermediate beats. It's certainly not a metronomic six-beat. Camera angles can be deceptive, too. What we need is lots more underwater footage.

shuumai 05-16-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardsk (Post 3394)
I dont think it's a two-beat kick, but he may be toning down the intermediate beats. It's certainly not a metronomic six-beat. Camera angles can be deceptive, too. What we need is lots more underwater footage.

What if it's a--as controversial as the label might be--4-beat kick? A form of pulsed kick pattern, taking advantage of the kick and rotation at one point, then streamlining at another point.

flipper 05-17-2009 11:56 AM

spear kick pull kick weight shift (rotation) with each

flipper 05-17-2009 11:58 AM

actually it is happening on both sides at the same time but opposite. Does that make sense?

flipper 05-17-2009 12:06 PM

he's alwayys corckscrewing forward( Backward) all effort is concentrated around his spine and out his arms. His vessel ( body ) is perfectly streamlined. just a beautiful thing to watch

flipper 05-17-2009 12:08 PM

just noticed what makes me a junior member?

shuumai 05-17-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flipper (Post 3413)
just noticed what makes me a junior member?

Yeah, it's the total number of posts. Nothing else. Otherwise I wouldn't register on the scale at all. hehe

shuumai 05-17-2009 02:32 PM

Does he stop kicking when he's flat on his back?

shuumai 05-18-2009 04:19 AM

kicking video link

Kicking segment shown in three speeds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NotwR_Ex5s

I think Irie-san is emphasising the downbeat of the leg on the pulling side as the pull is happening. It does seem like a 2-beat kick variant. (Or a 4-beat. hehe) Pulsing with a little rhythmic wiggle.

shuumai 05-18-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuumai (Post 3421)
I think Irie-san is emphasising the downbeat of the leg on the pulling side as the pull is happening.

I think I was wrong. Maybe it just looks like there is emphasis on the downbeat. Maybe the leg is just flaring as part of the body rotation as usual.

Richardsk 05-18-2009 08:59 PM

Thanks for the slow-motion footage. How did you do that?

As far a I can make out, each leg is making three kicks per cycle but one kick is much bigger than the other two so there is a two-beat emphasis ( like six-eight time in music in fact.

It's fascinating to watch. His ankles are amazingly flexible, too.

shuumai 05-18-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardsk (Post 3435)
Thanks for the slow-motion footage. How did you do that?

Well, I can say that it took more steps than I would have preferred!

Downloaded video, converted to a format I could edit, clipped out the scene, copied the scene, slowed each copy, then uploaded it, basically. I used...three programs to get it done. All of which are free.

Richardsk 05-19-2009 11:48 AM

I see

You are obviously something of a honsho.

shuumai 05-19-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardsk (Post 3445)
I see

You are obviously something of a honsho.

A hon who?

Richardsk 05-20-2009 08:05 AM

I believe honsho is Japanese for expert, borrowed into US English as honcho during the Korean war.

shuumai 05-20-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardsk (Post 3458)
I believe honsho is Japanese for expert, borrowed into US English as honcho during the Korean war.

Ah, I guess it's hanchou. Yeah, that's me. haha

班長 (はんちょう) squad leader; honcho; team leader; group leader;

By the way, I tried emphasising the downbeat, but it only works when I have the usual emphasis on the upbeat and add emphasis to the downbeat as well. Hmm, now I wonder. Maybe Irie-san applies power to both legs, then relaxes them, in a relative sense, during the rest of the kicking sequence. Otherwise there would be constant tension.

The kick is nothing like the constant kick of the Australian behind him in the video.

Richardsk 05-20-2009 03:34 PM

His technique is no doubt very well adapted to his physique. To judge from the video footage of this race and the 100m race that is also to be found on youtube, he is of very slight build, at least as far as the upper body is concerned. Nevertheless he has the classic V-shape of the mesomorph rather than the stringy shape of the ectomorph.

No doubt his muscles are well enough developed to move his body through the water. I would guess that his leg muscles are particularly strong. His body position seems impeccable.

The World Championships in Rome should be very interesting. I wonder will Phelps be trying the 100m back in the US Trials? Stranger things have hapened.