Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Three points of contact (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3216)

Janos 02-23-2012 10:25 PM

Three points of contact

Hi all, the mention of rock climbing got me thinking of that old mantra of having three points of contact at all time. Thinking I could use that as a focal point when swimming too, I tried a few laps where the focus was on the application of power through my three points of contact when swimming two beat. Seems like an interesting way of playing with the timing of the power phase. First contact is recovery arm after it has entered water, second is vertical catch arm and third is kick. Applying force to them all at the same time makes your three points of contact. When thinking it through in underswitch I had some unbelievably smooth laps. Anybody else think through this part of the stroke holistically?

Janos

CoachSuzanne 02-24-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janos (Post 26707)
Hi all, the mention of rock climbing got me thinking of that old mantra of having three points of contact at all time. Thinking I could use that as a focal point when swimming too, I tried a few laps where the focus was on the application of power through my three points of contact when swimming two beat. Seems like an interesting way of playing with the timing of the power phase. First contact is recovery arm after it has entered water, second is vertical catch arm and third is kick. Applying force to them all at the same time makes your three points of contact. When thinking it through in underswitch I had some unbelievably smooth laps. Anybody else think through this part of the stroke holistically?

Janos

As in the phrase "Hand, hand, hip" or "Hand, hand, hip and hoof"? (first phrase ala Celeste St. Pierre, 2nd phrase my modification with the suggestion of "hoof" rather than Foot"

Nah...never thought about it. ;)

But you can move these focuses around to different body parts...you mention recoveyr arm, catch arm and kick...add a specific joint or body surface as a focus. Elbow, elbow, instep perhaps?

Mike Bottom has a youtube video where he is workign with his sprinters on four points of contact...to basically teach them to connect their hips to their shoulders (since they've primarly been taught a shoulder driven technique).

Janos 02-24-2012 07:11 PM

I think you are describing the Timewarp there! :-) I meant three points of contact as a focus rather than one focal point,and aimed specifically at the propulsive part of the stroke. Forgetting the hips and shoulders, as they have to perform their part to make the three points happen.

Janos

CoachSuzanne 02-24-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janos (Post 26730)
I think you are describing the Timewarp there! :-) I meant three points of contact as a focus rather than one focal point,and aimed specifically at the propulsive part of the stroke. Forgetting the hips and shoulders, as they have to perform their part to make the three points happen.

Janos

Sure..but it's all a variation of the same thing. arm arm leg. hand hand hip. shoulder shoulder foot. elbow elbow knee. mix and match, it's all good.