Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   O2 in H20: Breathing Skills (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Psychology of length barriers. (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9595)

novaswimmer 05-02-2018 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoiscathy (Post 65307)
That's why I was frustrated (assuming you meant me). If I could get one *** breath, soon I'd be up to a kilometer, I have zero doubts. I just can't seem to get the first one!

I honestly don't think it's psychology. It's something technical in my case.

I do believe that going from 50m to 400m is all in the head, though!

Cathy, can you not get a first breath after the initial push-offf from the wall? Usually that's the easiest one because one's body is in a good horizontal position.

CoachBobM 05-02-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoiscathy (Post 65307)
That's why I was frustrated (assuming you meant me). If I could get one *** breath, soon I'd be up to a kilometer, I have zero doubts. I just can't seem to get the first one!

I honestly don't think it's psychology. It's something technical in my case.

I do believe that going from 50m to 400m is all in the head, though!

Can you roll onto your back to breathe? This is something we recommend to open water swimmers who need to rest (or who feel that they need to catch their breath) when they're in water over their head with no pool wall where they can stop.

Bob

whoiscathy 05-02-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachBobM (Post 65328)
Can you roll onto your back to breathe? This is something we recommend to open water swimmers who need to rest (or who feel that they need to catch their breath) when they're in water over their head with no pool wall where they can stop.

Bob

I can :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by novaswimmer (Post 65326)
Cathy, can you not get a first breath after the initial push-offf from the wall? Usually that's the easiest one because one's body is in a good horizontal position.

Good question! I'll try next...

whoiscathy 05-03-2018 08:18 AM

Probavly close to breaking through?

As ofthismorning, I can breathe with a "risky breath" (water touching corners of mouth) consistently, to my left side, with short fins and a flutter kick. Not without fins and/or 2bk yet, and I didn't even try the other side.

Sequence was sweet spot >> breathe in skate with fins several lengths (kid pool, only 17m long) >> add strokes. I'm probably overrotating slightly but I'm able to keep the rhythm without serious balance loss and I have patient lead arm & hands. Also head parallel to water and breath is "risky".

My stroke count goes up, though. Clearly a work in progress...

Bada Bing 05-03-2018 08:28 AM

ACE!! Keep us posted.

whoiscathy 05-03-2018 11:14 AM

Thanks, but I must say I was doing so well with the flippers that I had no guts to try without (only before flipper time)... tomorrow I'll try to do the same without. Might get a mild shock...