Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Freestyle (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Goggle Recommendations? (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3637)

cantswim 07-22-2012 07:31 PM

Goggle Recommendations?

I tried the Aqua Sphere Kaimans. They don't pass the suction test (letting them sit on your eyes with only suction, no strap, for 5-10 seconds). They leak and are uncomfortable.

Bought a 2nd pair just in case first was defective. Same problem.

Tried the Aqua Sphere Seal Mask. These pass the suction test, but even with the lightest suction, they are too tight. Uncomfortable. Leaves deep marks on my face after using, and gives me a headache.

Speedo Hydrospex2 was really bad. Uncomfortable, leaks a lot, poor visibility, just everything wrong.

Next I will try Aqua Sphere Kayenne, and then Speedo Vanquisher 2.0.

Any other recommendations?

newbie2012 07-22-2012 07:35 PM

I've read good reviews for the Kaimans, the Aqua Sphere K180 and the Speedo Vanquisher, but no hands on experience with any of those.

animonkey 07-22-2012 07:37 PM

I've been really happy with my tyr nest pro goggles. Not too small, and comfortable.

Mike from NS 07-22-2012 07:49 PM

a question I can answer !!

My recommendation, with confidence, is for Aquagoggles from aquagoggle.com
in Kitchener - Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. They supply the V2 goggles to match your eyeglasses prescription for a very reasonable cost in the $24 range. I've had mine for almost 6 years and as my eyes have changed it's now time to look for a new pair. They seal well (with comfort) and come in a blue tint. My question on this forum, like yours, years ago brought a recommendation from another TI'er. The factory anti-fog coating on them lasted a full year.

tony0000 07-22-2012 11:09 PM

I happen to have a narrow face. Though I'm an average-size adult, I wear the Aqua Sphere Kaiman *small* size. They are great. But everyone's face is different. You just have to go to a swim store and try them all on.

andyinnorway 07-23-2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantswim (Post 29593)
I tried the Aqua Sphere Kaimans. They don't pass the suction test (letting them sit on your eyes with only suction, no strap, for 5-10 seconds). They leak and are uncomfortable.

Bought a 2nd pair just in case first was defective. Same problem.

Tried the Aqua Sphere Seal Mask. These pass the suction test, but even with the lightest suction, they are too tight. Uncomfortable. Leaves deep marks on my face after using, and gives me a headache.

Speedo Hydrospex2 was really bad. Uncomfortable, leaks a lot, poor visibility, just everything wrong.

Next I will try Aqua Sphere Kayenne, and then Speedo Vanquisher 2.0.

Any other recommendations?

I too had big problems with the kaimans, water came in the top corners all the time. I use the aqua sphere vista for everything as I like the quick release strap and never get any water leakage and they are comfortable.

swimust 07-23-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyinnorway (Post 29603)
I too had big problems with the kaimans, water came in the top corners all the time. I use the aqua sphere vista for everything as I like the quick release strap and never get any water leakage and they are comfortable.

Please explain me why are the "big" goggles so popular in TI. I dont get the point. I see that you work on your speed and your times, so arent you supposed to use the Swedish goggles or something "small"?
I just want to learn the issue because I see that many advanced TI swimmers including Terry are using big goggles. I have no opinion and I am just asking. I use small goggles.

Richardsk 07-23-2012 07:36 AM

For training it is hard to beat the cheap "Swedish" goggles if you find them comfortable. You can get them with soft rims (from Kiefer and no doubt from other makers). For racing I like my Zoggs Predator, which seem the least likely to come off in the dive. With improved dive technique I could probably race in the Swedes. When in doubt one can race old style with no goggles at all.

swimust 07-23-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardsk (Post 29606)
When in doubt one can race old style with no goggles at all.

:) :) world champions are racing with the Swedish goggles. Pellegrini !! :)
I wonder if she will do wonders again in London

Richardsk 07-23-2012 07:56 AM

Pellegrini has a much better dive than I do. She swims better, too. I'm looking forward to seeing her in action on the TV or the BBC web site.