Total Immersion Forums

Total Immersion Forums (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/index.php)
-   Find a TI Training Buddy (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Helsinki Finland (http://www.totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6986)

CSM 01-05-2014 12:23 PM

Helsinki Finland

Any other TI enthusiasts here?

I've been self-training for a while now, making slow progress but (or rather: therefore) enjoying the time. But it's hard to get feedback.

Talvi 02-03-2014 09:12 AM

Preferences set to "No contact"

Hi
I'm in LPR, so I think all that's probably even harder here than down in the big 'ol city. ;)

I suspect TI is not a good cultural match for Finland so maybe not a lot of people practising it compared to elsewhere?

You're contact prefs for these boards mean you can't be contacted ...

CSM 05-13-2014 02:15 PM

Thanks Talvi, I have updated my forum preferences.

Why do you thinks there would be a cultural mismatch? Finland has lakes everywhere and Finns spend the whole summer in their möki next to such lake. Perfect setting for some long distance TI swimming...

Talvi 05-14-2014 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=CSM;46338] Why do you thinks there would be a cultural mismatch? [/QUOTE]
Ei millään pahalla, I asked for that! :D For me, TI is at its core a very "soft" discipline, like yoga, as opposed to a "hard" discipline, like karate. In Finland I see winning as coming first to the extent that everything else comes a very distant second, so "hard" approaches are favoured. TI, for me, is not primarily goal oriented in quite that way.

Having said that I met a lifeguard at the pool yesterday who's done some coaching, used to swim for the national youth team etc who's coaching approach was very soft indeed. I think he's the exception that proves the rule though here.

CoachSalkaHintikka 05-20-2014 11:31 PM

Hi Talvi and CSM,

as it happens, there is a Finnish TI-coach but unfortunately (for you!) I'm not based in Finland (I live in north of England). I visit Helsinki several times a year so I might be able to meet you for a swim if timetable allows. Or maybe in the future there could even be a workshop if there is enough interest?

Talvi 05-21-2014 11:11 AM

[QUOTE=CoachSalkaHintikka;46511]Hi Talvi and CSM,

as it happens, there is a Finnish TI-coach but unfortunately (for you!) I'm not based in Finland (I live in north of England). I visit Helsinki several times a year so I might be able to meet you for a swim if timetable allows. Or maybe in the future there could even be a workshop if there is enough interest?[/QUOTE]

So not missing mämmi then? ;)

CoachSalkaHintikka 05-23-2014 04:49 PM

Yes, I can certainly live quite happily without mämmi!
I will keep you posted when I'm coming to Finland next time, in case any of the TI-swimmers and enthusiasts up there were up for a swim together. Enjoy the sun and warmth - I do miss the Finnish summers!

Talvi 05-24-2014 06:39 PM

We don't have Finnish summers here anymore (or winters for that matter!). It's hotter here than in Marrakesh - over 30'C.

hhuttunen 06-15-2014 08:45 AM

+1 to Capital Region FI workshop/coaching. So hard to find any personal swimming coach currently, let alone TI.

Talvi 06-15-2014 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=hhuttunen;47058]... So hard to find any personal swimming coach currently, let alone TI.[/QUOTE]

I second that. There should be an opportunity I think.