PDA

View Full Version : 400m

bx
03-19-2014, 11:37 PM
Did 400m tonight! Four times further than I've ever swum freestyle before!

terry
03-19-2014, 11:44 PM
What did you think, do, or feel that was different?

bx
03-20-2014, 12:12 AM
What did you think, do, or feel that was different?

Thanks for the reply :)

I felt secure in my technique for one length (25m) at a time. In particular I've been finally gaining a little bit of feel for the anchor - just light-to-medium pressure. Plus lots of breathing drills, feeling comfortable both sides.
So what else was there to do other than push myself to swim a bit further and see where my weak areas are?

Suprisingly, my technique didn't collapse, though my arms got tired for the final 4 lengths, which made spearing and anchoring a bit sloppy.

terry
03-20-2014, 05:11 AM
If you used only light-to-medium pressure, why do you suppose your arms tired? Could you lighten pressure further?
Because completing 400m with no fatigue is how you progress to 1500 or 3000 or 10,000m.

bx
03-20-2014, 04:51 PM
If you used only light-to-medium pressure, why do you suppose your arms tired? Could you lighten pressure further?
Because completing 400m with no fatigue is how you progress to 1500 or 3000 or 10,000m.

Even spearing deeply enough to counteract my sinky legs takes a suprising amount of effort.

In future I want to put 90% concentration on spearing correctly, and 10% on getting some pressure on the catch.

It was a useful experiment.

terry
03-20-2014, 05:30 PM
If you use the weight shift optimally -- relying 90% on gravity and body mass and only 10% on muscle power -- you can do it almost indefinitely without fatigue.
When was the last time you had a tuneup with a TI coach?

bx
03-20-2014, 06:26 PM
If you use the weight shift optimally -- relying 90% on gravity and body mass and only 10% on muscle power -- you can do it almost indefinitely without fatigue.
When was the last time you had a tuneup with a TI coach?

Yeah... the eternal puzzle of using weight shift. Anyone who can't swim perpetually probably isn't using it optimally.

I've not had any real-life coaching. I realise it's unrealistic to expect a DVD and a forum to turn you into an efficient swimmer. My problem is that I keep getting better each month, so I keep putting off getting any coaching.

terry
03-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Option coming shortly to receive coaching by video from TI coaches

segressel54
06-24-2015, 04:40 PM
Coach Terry,
I would be very interested in either chat sessions with a TI coach or video coaching. Just to have someone tell me "yes that's normal" would be helpful after hearing my current status toward a 400m swim goal.
Thanks!

bx
06-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Coach Terry,
I would be very interested in either chat sessions with a TI coach or video coaching. Just to have someone tell me "yes that's normal" would be helpful after hearing my current status toward a 400m swim goal.
Thanks!

Terry created the TI Academy for just this purpose. There's a big link to it from the ti home page. But you can upload videos to YouTube etc. and have feedback on this forum from coaches (if they have time) and interested fellow TI swimmers alike.

It's a funny coincidence that you've resurrected this old thread that I started last year, as I was just about to post something new to it... coming up in next post.

Ant

bx
06-24-2015, 10:25 PM
So, I just wanted to do an update to this old thread. A sort of marker in the sand.

Namely, I swam 800m tonight. (I imagine cheering inside my head!)

This is my little endurance project. 4 weeks ago I managed a 400m, which I hadn't swum in over a whole year. Following week, 500m. Then 600m. And tonight 800m.

Observations:

1. I wasn't ready last year, technique-wise. Breathing was strained and unsatisfying because core wasn't really engaged, causing me to swim too flat (verified via video) and twist my upper body for air instead of "rolling like a log".

2. Much better grip on the water this year. But also, just using this to "feel" the thickness of the water as I rotate or corksrew past. After these latest swims, my arms and shoulders are fine and not particularly fatigued.

3. This one should have been no. 1. Rhythm! The only two things I'm thinking about are "core" and "rhythm".

Next goal is a kilometer, and then steadly onwards to a mile :)

Thanks for reading my little update,
Ant

bx
06-30-2015, 10:27 PM
1km continuous tonight. Get in! Sprinted the last length - fuel left in the tank :)

With cognitive stress too, as the other guy in my lane kept swimming into me.

terry
07-01-2015, 12:39 AM
BX
My suggestion is to shift to interval repeats of 100m at least every other practice, but even better 3 of 4.
See examples in posts 2 and 3 on my Summer Training Project (http://totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?p=53720#post53720) thread.

I guarantee you'll make faster progress

bx
07-01-2015, 06:13 AM
BX
My suggestion is to shift to interval repeats of 100m at least every other practice, but even better 3 of 4.
See examples in posts 3 and 3 on my Summer Training Project (http://totalimmersion.net/forum/showthread.php?p=53720#post53720) thread.

I guarantee you'll make faster progress

Thanks for the pointer Terry.

I was indeed intending to move to multiple short repeats at about this stage.

Please understand, though, that this past 5 weeks has been my "dragon-slaying period". I have, after about 5 1/2 years, finally got the knack of continuous swimming and breathing without a buildup of tension and discomfort after a couple of lengths.

The fact that I now consider 100m to be a short distance is amazing :)

Add me to the list of people who've learnt to swim FS with TI!

Cheers
Ant

terry
07-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Ant
Welcome to a long and quite distinguished list.
I think of what you've accomplished as quite a bit more challenging, and meaningful, than the much faster times off younger competitive swimmers, who begin barely out of the cradle, and swim millions of meters under the eyes of coaches.

bx
07-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Ant
Welcome to a long and quite distinguished list.
I think of what you've accomplished as quite a bit more challenging, and meaningful, than the much faster times off younger competitive swimmers, who begin barely out of the cradle, and swim millions of meters under the eyes of coaches.

Most kind. I had a bit of group coaching as a teen in the 1980's, but I couldn't manage more than two lengths FS even back then, so it's especially sweet to learn this in middle age.

efdoucette
10-29-2015, 11:49 AM
bx, this is a thread I can relate to, thank you for posting. I'm about 5 years into self taught TI via videos and forum, started swimming only after retirement. I have swam 300M in the past but it was all effort. I have regrouped and refocused over the last year and am currently at 150M with little muscle or breathing stress. I feel as you have that I am just around the corner to swimming 400+ continuously. My journey has been one of turning focus points into repeatables, a long process, it hasn't come natural for sure.

I look forward to posting my successes.
Eric

bx
11-03-2015, 05:21 PM
That's very cool, Eric. I think 400m is around the point where if you can swim that distance, then the road to longer distances seems acheivable and not shrouded in mystery. It's OK to be in the slow lane of progress. Making any progress at all immediately puts us in the 1% category of leisure swimmers who actually improve!

Ant

bx
01-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Did a 1500m swim last week. Not quite a mile - I just ran out of time.
Didn't plan it, but I had the lane to myself, so I could relax properly.

I thought it would be fun to add this to my original "400m" thread!

Deepakti
01-20-2018, 06:16 PM
Did a 1500m swim last week. Not quite a mile - I just ran out of time.
Didn't plan it, but I had the lane to myself, so I could relax properly.

I thought it would be fun to add this to my original "400m" thread!

Hello Ant

My next target is the mile. I am curious to know what was your SPL and time for 1500M.

Many Thanks

Deepak

bx
01-23-2018, 02:24 PM
Hi Deepak,

I counted lengths only. I should try counting strokes again.

Where are you up to, and did you stop using flippers?

bx
01-26-2018, 01:38 PM
Knocked out another 1500m, estimated TI-RPE 2 (cruise), so that's basically a solved problem and not a fluke.

The singular focus in this swim was linking body roll to gravity and linking
the catch-and-press to body roll with light pressure. Satisfied I am doing that
reasonably well and automatically, but low-side arm tends to decelerate towards the end of its path when the rotation has finished. Therefore my next focal pointi is:-

Direct more momentum forwards with the recovery arm.

Interesting that D Shen has just uploaded a new vid on a revised recovery being trialled.