PDA

View Full Version : Rogers Sportsnet - Open Water Swimming Men, Friday August 10, 2012 (Canada)

ktoles
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi All

Canada won a bronze medal this morning in Open Water Swimming and I had absolutely no idea this was going to happen. I had no idea this guy was a contender...

Did any Canadian member happen to record the race in it's entirety on Rogers Sportsnet this morning? if you all did? Please let me know ASAP! Thank You!

My email is krempfer@hotmail.com, It's extremely improtant to me that I get a copy of this race on DVD-R. I will gladly pay all and any costs associated with making an extra copy

Thank You!

Kyle.

CharlesCouturier
08-10-2012, 03:45 PM
That guy had won the famous Lac St-Jean though a few weeks back though, thus beating Petar. So not your usually dark horse.

ktoles
08-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Oh I know he's had some success in the past - did you happen to record it at all?

I've got every Canadian medal performance going back to 2002 so it's extremely important to me that I find the physical coverage so I can keep it for myself.

Thank You

Mike from NS
08-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Are you looking for the swim by Richard Weinberger in the Serpentine ?

Try searching here ... http://www.ctvolympics.ca/videos/index.html

This should be available here ... CTV is playing it there now, at least.

ktoles
08-10-2012, 10:57 PM
That is what I'm looking for and I know it's online but I'm actually looking for is someone who recorded it, I need a copy of the physical coverage myself. I can't actually download the video on CTV website, I'm looking for someone who actually recorded it, I need a physical copy of the coverage.

Mike from NS
08-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Yes ... that's what I had thought .... but isn't there a way to record or save downloaded video like this? Some knowledgeable computer techie here should be able to help you out. Sorry -- I'm not a techie....

Imagine missing first place "gold" by about 5.5 sec after a 10 k swim ! Must be maddening !

Best of luck in acquiring the video!

ktoles
08-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Alas, I've tried many different programs, but I just don't think there is :(

borate
08-11-2012, 02:37 AM
Are you looking for the swim by Richard Weinberger in the Serpentine ?

Try searching here ... http://www.ctvolympics.ca/videos/index.html

This should be available here ... CTV is playing it there now, at least.

This link points to a video that may not be available in the US: "video error" is shown when tested in two browsers and with two Net circuits. All other page elements load.
There is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39uD1la895s&feature=player_embedded) link of the race finish. Is that what you are seeking?

If possible, post another link where the video can be seen.

ktoles
08-11-2012, 03:14 AM
Ugh CTV Primetime's Coverage was just pathetic! They showed about maybe 3 minutes of a two hour race! :mad:

I have tried to capture the video from the website using various differnet media capturing tools and there is just no way to do it.

I'm looking for the FULL Men's Olympic 10KM Open Water Swim of the Serpentine in London. Ousama Melouli of Tunisia won the gold medal. I'm looking for the race in it's entirety. I can not find it anywhere. I need a copy to be able to put on to DVD, either the Olympic Broadcast Feed or the Canadian Feed.

Does anyone have a copy or know where I can find it so I can put it on DVD?

Thank You.

CharlesCouturier
08-11-2012, 05:24 PM
There are at least two options available to be able to download a clip.

1. RealPlayer. This product has some options to download clips, which have worked ok on Windows (For me) some times, but not all the time.

2. Capture Editing software. I now have a Mac computer. And I use iShowU HD. Obviously with this thing there are no clips that can not be downloaded. This software can capture what you see on your computer screen into a new mpeg file, so... What I mean here, is that I could be recording myself whilst writing this post, and the end result would be an mpeg file showing me typing this post. Therefore if I open my iShowU software, I can capature this clip (in full screen mode for instance) and it will create a new videoclip file on my hard drive.

I believe that the second option is your best bet, unless you're fortunate enough to get better results out of RealPlayer.

ktoles
08-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I've tried RealPlayer, that doesn't work, I understand that recording software, but then does that not reduce the quality? Ala like someone recording them watching TV and putting that up on YouTube? instead of uploading the actual clip the quality is severely reduced :( I want just the clip itself of the race. Could you possibly do it for me? http://www.ctvolympics.ca/videos/channel/obs1/watch/swimming-marathon.html is the link.

If you could do it and get it as of full quality of just the video itself I'd pay you for your time and the disc. I've tried everything. It's a silverlight video and it's protected so I don't think you can download it, i mean if i see a disc with the monitor and the reduced race screen I dunno, I just want the race itself. you see what I'm getting at?

I don't care where the race comes from, I just want the race, British Feed, Tunisian Feed, doesn't matter.

CharlesCouturier
08-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I wish I could help you with this, but I can not.

First, the file involved is so large that other than trading this through an FTP site, I would have no way of sharing it with you. On top of that, I like to casually chat on forums, but in reality I'm a coach running a little business. Therefore I tend to be a bit more sensitive to copyrights matters.

I don't see myself hacking this reportage for someone else...

That said though, I made a quick test. Just to show you that it's feasible.

Here's the sort of output you can expect when using an HD Capture software. Like I said, I use iShowU, which I paid 60$ or so, but there are other solutions out there that are compatible with MS-Windows. I think the quality would have been better if I didn't record this in full screen mode. The original resolution would have been preserved a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGek45Wb4aU

The way it works is simple. When I hit a keys combination, it records anything that is being displayed on my screen. In the end, it places an .mov file somewhere on my hard drive. So if you do it on your own, you could expect a huge clip file. That monster could reach 2GB in my humble opinion, at least. Probably more.

ktoles
08-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately the link you provided has had the video blocked by the IOC? Can you perhaps provide another example? Is it only the video that's recorded? This is huge for me that I get it :S

CharlesCouturier
08-11-2012, 08:49 PM
OMG, you see? (this is a copyright issue).

It ran for a whilst though...

And more importantly, I have the clip on my hard drive, and so would you.

But as you could see, these guys don't hesitate to defend their rights. So all I could do to help you in this thread is definitely all I could ever do.

As an aside, I'm extremely surprised that they found and blocked this clip. It was unlisted, therefore not even public. And obviously they couldn't match it by file size or something.

It's as if someone somewhere was having a look at all clips that are being uploaded to youtube, in fact... which is reassuring, but surprising in the same time. Frankly I don't understand that one...

Mike from NS
08-11-2012, 08:52 PM
One more thought ....

Have you considered contacting your local television station and making a request for a copy of the race. Years back I've done this for a news item and the local CBC obliged with a VHS cassette for me..... that tells you how long ago this was. It might be worth a try - if all else fails.

Good luck!

To Charles : ... see the IOC copy-write people are reading the Total Immersion forums and see the interest in the 10K race in the Serpentine ... and they blocked it !!! Nothing in the pledges at the opening of sharing video !!

CharlesCouturier
08-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Well I understand that perfectly though.

And make no mistake, they wrote to me.

My iShowU example clip may have been subject of a copyright claim. "This claim is penalising your account status" sort of message.

Then when I actually logged on to see how much damage this had caused, I had a new message saying that no copyright claim had been withheld.

Smart tv is on the way. Soon you'll be switching from web content (ie, webtv, youtube, wiki) and traditional content. Major broadcaster are worried, they defend their rights and I'm cool with this.

To Charles : ... see the IOC copy-write people are reading the Total Immersion forums and see the interest in the 10K race in the Serpentine ... and they blocked it !!! Nothing in the pledges at the opening of sharing video !! I agree to that explanation entirely. It's the only way they could have tripped on this clip, since again it wasn't even listed. People couldn't get a hit on that, and the title weren't suggesting that the content was about that particular event.

In fact, it's an interesting case. I wasn't really showing their 10k event, but rather how it looked on my own computer display. I was showing iShowU.

bx
08-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Google has pretty sophisticated fuzzy pattern-matching algorithms, you can bet your last dollar. And who knows if the footage was watermarked by the rights owner? It's a digital war out there ;)

ktoles
08-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm also looking to torrents, if anyone is able to find a torrent of the race, doesn't matter what language, can you please let me know? I could download that too.

borate
08-12-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm also looking to torrents, if anyone is able to find a torrent of the race, doesn't matter what language, can you please let me know? I could download that too.

Your best (legal) bet might be to query the source/s of the feed. Perhaps they offer a DVD of the action.

Mike from NS
08-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Copy write infringement is a nasty world ... from both sides. Same with the music industry - we all know of this. In Canada, at least, music play is governed by SOCAN. On a rainy day when the water is too cold for swimming, "Google" SOCAN and be amazed at the foolishness of the various tariffs. There have been Boy Scout fund raising dances where SOCAN heard of the event and threatened huge fines if the "fees" for such an event were not paid. The golf club where I play recorded music for dances faced huge fines unless fees in the $10k range were not paid for past events at the club where music was played. For music played on an airplane's sound system, there is one tariff for taxiing to the runway and a separate tariff for a plane in flight !!

And be careful if you telephone answering system plays music --- they will get you !!

I think it best for legality, and for quality's sake, to contact the broadcaster's representatives for coverage of the Serpentine 10K race. They most likely sell their programs clips just as a newspaper sells photographs seen in their newspaper.

CharlesCouturier
08-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I'll get in touch with you in private soon, I need a hand about these music copyrights...

YES, it is a jungle. Nothing to help the musicians to earn a living...

Mike from NS
08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
I'll get in touch with you in private soon, I need a hand about these music copyrights...

YES, it is a jungle. Nothing to help the musicians to earn a living...

Hi Charles,

Please do get in touch, if you wish.

Not sure what assistance I could offer you about music copyrights. I'm certainly no expert in that field. My limited experience has been with SOCAN and the greedy fees they levy on any event where music is played. Their web site will show you what I mean. And these people just govern this in Canada. In theory, they levy these fees which are in turn paid out to the musicians who's music is played at an event. Not sure how that works because I have never been asked for a play list of the CDs I may play at a dance. And there may be only a couple of Canadian's music that I may or not play on any given night.

to: ktoles - have you contacted the broadcasters for a copy of the 10K Serpentine race yet? Any luck in acquiring the footage of the swim?

Mike

ktoles
08-16-2012, 04:15 AM
Nothing from the broadcaster, it's up in full on YouTube but it's embedded and I'm trying to figure out a way to get it on to my computer.. no luck though so far.

borate
08-16-2012, 05:01 AM
Nothing from the broadcaster, it's up in full on YouTube but it's embedded and I'm trying to figure out a way to get it on to my computer.. no luck though so far.

Install Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Install Download Helper https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/

Access a YouTube video.

Click the small arrow to the right of the D.L.H. icon in the toolbar and choose a format...

<filename>.FLV - a Flash file is playable with Media Player Classic and some other media players.
<filename>.MP4 - playable with Windows Media Player.

ktoles
08-16-2012, 06:57 PM
I've tried that but all I get are little tiny segments one by one and not the one big file unfortunately so I think I may be outta luck. :(

borate
08-16-2012, 08:17 PM
I've tried that but all I get are little tiny segments one by one and not the one big file unfortunately so I think I may be outta luck. :(

Top left of this page, click USER CP.
Send me a private message that includes your e-mail address.
If P.M. isn't enabled you will prompted to do so - under USER CP|EDIT OPTIONS. Enable SEND.

ktoles
08-16-2012, 08:44 PM
I tried sending you a PM but it says you aren't accepting them right now.

just send an email to my gmail, it's fine. kyle.toles@gmail.com or hotmail. krempfer@hotmail.com

either or is good.

ktoles
08-16-2012, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlPyBqEajUI

That's the link to the race. I don't think there's any real way of getting it into one large file unfortunately :(

borate
08-16-2012, 10:51 PM
I tried sending you a PM but it says you aren't accepting them right now.

just send an email to my gmail, it's fine. kyle.toles@gmail.com or hotmail. krempfer@hotmail.com

either or is good.

Fixed. The YouTube link that you mentioned later in the thread is "not available in this country." (US)
Check your e-mail at both addresses.

ktoles
08-17-2012, 12:31 AM
I got it, but that link I posted isn't FLV or MP4 It's M2PT or something along those lines and you can't get it into a single segment with the download helper. It just doesn't work unfortuantely.

I don't think there's much else I can do

borate
08-17-2012, 12:40 AM
I got it, but that link I posted isn't FLV or MP4 It's M2PT or something along those lines and you can't get it into a single segment with the download helper.

Your link isn't available in the US. Again check your email for clarification.

ktoles
08-17-2012, 12:43 AM
Ah, I'm more looking for the whole race, that's two hours long the link you sent me was 8 minutes unfortunately :( thank you though!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/swimming/final-mens-10k-open-water-swim.html

you should be able to view that, I can't. I'm not in the USA and can't view that link.