PDA

View Full Version : Dana Vollmer Words of Wisdom

terry
07-31-2012, 10:16 AM
After Dana Vollmer broke a tech-suit world record and become first woman under 56 sec in 100m Fly, it's worth pondering some quotes from the NY Times excellent multi-media examination of her stroke (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/07/27/sports/olympics/dana-vollmer-100-meter-butterfly.html?ref=sports). Which they even call "One With the Water." Gotta love it.

Vollmer: “The butterfly is really about grace and rhythm. I think about being light in the water and everything moving forward as I swim.“

Her coach at Cal Berkeley (and US Olynpic Women's Coach) Teri McKeever: "It’s important to her to get out and be ahead with rhythm, rather than force and power.”

Vollmer again: “People struggle in the last 25 meters; that's when I really focus on . . . staying as light as I can with my arms, not punching down with my legs."

Vollmer is able to swim with lightness, grace and rhythm, while also swimming faster than others who are applying more power because she works with the water. Specifically, she aligns her efforts with existing or natural forces of momentum, gravity and buoyancy.

TI will release a new ebook with embedded video called Easy Fly. "Easy" because it teaches you how to work with the water as Vollmer does.

Richardsk
07-31-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm looking forward to that e-book.

CoachSuzanne
07-31-2012, 06:25 PM
terry i noticed those same quotes myself. Unlike Phelps, whose "Swimming talks for him", Vollmer is very eloquent and expressive. :) (Both are good qualities)