PDA

View Full Version : Thorpe vs Lineker

andyinnorway
07-31-2012, 07:44 AM
The BBC in the UK have been fortunate enough to get Ian Thorpe into the studio each night for post race commentary on the swimming.

He is in there with Gary Lineker, former England Soccer captain and now one of the BBC's anchor sport's presenters, and previously famous for being the gentleman of football with ten years at international level without a single booking (yellow card).

For some reason Gary has a big problem with Ian Thorpe and is disrespecting him nightly on live TV. The first night he telling Ian he was too old to compete and pretended he had already retired, the second night he suggested Ian was wearing a wet suit for his famous swims and that was the reason he won, last night he started the show with derisory comments on Ian's Sweater?

Has anyone else in the UK picked up on this, and what is Gary Lineker's problem?

swimust
07-31-2012, 07:51 AM
The BBC in the UK have been fortunate enough to get Ian Thorpe into the studio each night for post race commentary on the swimming.

He is in there with Gary Lineker, former England Soccer captain and now one of the BBC's anchor sport's presenters, and previously famous for being the gentleman of football with ten years at international level without a single booking (yellow card).

For some reason Gary has a big problem with Ian Thorpe and is disrespecting him nightly on live TV. The first night he telling Ian he was too old to compete and pretended he had already retired, the second night he suggested Ian was wearing a wet suit for his famous swims and that was the reason he won, last night he started the show with derisory comments on Ian's Sweater?

Has anyone else in the UK picked up on this, and what is Gary Lineker's problem?

haha.. not so gentleman after all. maybe he needs to show supremacy over the down under guys for some mental reason...
he must be feeling inferior because Aussie men swam much better than the Brits over the history.

Richardsk
07-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Just a bit of banter, I think, with no evil intent.

activefish
07-31-2012, 08:26 AM
I've been watching these exchanges and it is clear to me that Thorpe understands the tongue in cheek nature of these comments very well. Perhaps it is just an Anglophone thing that doesn't cross language barriers very well. With comments like these it is not so much the words as the non verbal communication that counts. With TV coverage it is difficult show the perhaps very brief glance that indicates the tongue in cheek nature of the comment and the understanding that it is so from the respondent.

John

andyinnorway
07-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Its not just me, there is some discussion on it on twitter.

terry
07-31-2012, 10:23 AM
I've been watching these exchanges and it is clear to me that Thorpe understands the tongue in cheek nature of these comments very well.

Being in the US - and without TV to boot - I haven't had the advantage of watching, but in just reading Lineker's comments, it came across to me as cheeky banter, not intended seriously.

Richardsk
07-31-2012, 03:56 PM
From my viewing I would say: said with a smile ant received with a smile. All just friendly banter, particularly the crack about the wetsuit.

Lineker isn't supposed to be an expert on swimming but perhaps knows more than he lets on.