PDA

View Full Version : Joining the "First Mile Club"

philipperd
03-06-2012, 03:19 AM
Greetings from Tokyo, Japan!

I have yesterday proudly joined the "First Mile Club" only after receiving the DVD a month and a half ago.... Like many others before, I could hardly complete a lap before I began the first lesson.

I have spent the last 45 days practicing the drills with many other swimmers curious to know what I was doing....and I will continue to focus on all the key aspects to improve technique and form.

Thank you Terry for sharing your experiences, techniques and thoughts. Your swimming philosophy is completely relevant in so many other aspects of our lives.

terry
03-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Congratulations Phill. And welcome to the community of TI swimmers. Would you care to share with us the cognitive insights or skill breakthroughs that seemed to make the most difference? Perhaps a listing of milestones along the way?

AWP
03-06-2012, 12:33 PM
I'll echo Terry's kudos and welcome. And in a months' time! I was still working on the drills progression at that point but do remember quite vividly the day I let go and found I could go and go and go...
Nice to hear and do keep us up.

nicka
03-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Congratulations Phill, I just recently accomplished this myself but unlike you it took me about a year and not 45 days , wow what an achievment.
Keep up the good work.
Nick

grandall
03-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Congrats Phil!
It's great to hear another inspiring story.

ktm
03-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Congratulations! Which DVD?

gangchen
03-08-2012, 11:26 PM
just bought the DVD last week. I hope I will join mile club before my birthday (in August).

Philip:

how many days do you swim every week and for how long?

thanks,

Gang

philipperd
03-09-2012, 06:14 AM
Thank you Terry and all for your encouragements!

I have been using the "Perpetual Motion Freestyle in 10 Lessons". I am lucky to have a pool very near from work and have been able to practice almost every day for an hour.

To answer Terry's question, I feel that the key milestones or significant moments to allow me to reach this level are as detailed below:
- Realizing that water is a friend and that our bodies float in a very relaxed way (Superman Glide and Skate)
- Learning that "less is more"... "slower is better", "a small distance matters more than a long one".... "forget the wall ahead... just enjoy the moment"
- Realizing that even at 42, nothing is impossible! I have realized that on a few occasions, starting a new drill seemed impossible and I was struggling. But 30minutes later, I would be able to progress and feel more comfortable.
- The Skate position has greatly helped to imprint a "default position".
- Two weeks ago, on vacations, I had the chance to swim in open water. the conditions were perfect... and I felt that I could have gone forever...The feeling that I was truly enjoying every stroke was exhilarating...
- Then I went back to the pool, and obviously felt the soft water "heavier" but having had the confidence and "teaser" of the open water, gave me drive to carry on.
- Many other small hints on the forum or in the video have helped, in terms of breathing techniques or skills.

I am only on lesson 6... and perhaps I should not have jumped ahead... but I will now try to improve my strokes and my SPL.

I have a triathlon on April 22, but will make every effort not to rush and improve on my technique.

Many thanks again to all!

MikeB
04-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Popped my mile cherry this morning. I started the TI drills about seven or eight weeks ago so to have reached this milestone within this timescale leaves me feeling very pleased with myself...

Last night I registered for the 2.5K event in our local pool for Sport Relief: www.swimathon.org (http://www.swimathon.org/)

Any other UK swimmers on here doing this event?